The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Do you undertake?

hogmaw

Do you undertake?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Do you undertake?

• I rule the road and undertaking means nothing to me!
    • Yes, whenever I feel the need to
    • Occasionaly yes and I feel guilty to have done it
    • Never, it's just wrong!

I drive in the US a lot and got into the habit there as it's legal and normal. But now I have become more and more impatient with middle lane drivers in the UK, so I do it here a lot too. Not ALL the time, just when they happen to get on my tits, which is becoming increasingly more often. I know they could easily pull into me, so I'm always aware of this and ready to brake/speed up if necessary.

I generally don't although that's not to say that I won't do it.

If the motorway is relatively empty I've even been known to close a gap on a middle lane hogger, pull level on the inside and then back off and over take in the fast lane just to prove a point.

Stupid yes and do feel guilty for doing it but oh my god they annoy me.

Anyhoo...my answer would be yes but feel guilty.

:)

i used to do it allot. but its very dangerous and i do it rarely now. whats more annoying is when you're in a car with someone that sits in the middle lane. my gf does it, as does her friends. apparently they like to have more options available to them

I used to think like that, give me more time to react. Then I realised I was stupid.

All the time, when people are driving on the left lane (belgium :) ) 20 miles below speedlimit because 5 miles ahead they have to turn left on a crosssection, what can you do?

- P -

Go GTA on their ass... (If only)

I am a stickler for abiding by the rules - but if the tw*t in the middle lane doesn't pull over I tend to undertake them if the fast lane is busy.

If they are sat in the middle lane, with me in the slow lane, I also pull out into the fast lane, overtake, and pull right across their path and into the slow lane again. I do this sensibly, making sure that I'm not too close to them - but close enough to make my point.

I do most of my driving in a truck, at night, which is limited to 55mph. You would be amazed at how many cars I undertake because they are sitting in a dreamworld at 50 in the middle lane. When i first go past them, some speed up and pull away, but they never pull into the inside and you can bet i'll catch them up again in a couple of miles.

only when the ar*ole knows i am trying to pass but cannot be bothered to move

Bingo..

However, and I'm not 100% sure on this but I was told by a british trained advanced driver, that it wouldn't be classed as an undertake if you were already in the lane and moving at a suitable speed. If the person in the next lane is doing 40, and you are doing 50, then it isn't classed as an undertake but rather just passing. If you swap lanes and then pass, well that is a undertake.

Pretty much every day on 2 stretches of motorway, it's great, I have a whole lane to myself from home to work, drive along at a steady speed and get there with no stress at all.

On the US thing is it legal to undertake across the whole US? I was told this before I went over there but when I was out with the locals they told me it wasn't legal in California - true or were they just scared of my driving?

Pretty much every day on 2 stretches of motorway, it's great, I have a whole lane to myself from home to work, drive along at a steady speed and get there with no stress at all.

On the US thing is it legal to undertake across the whole US? I was told this before I went over there but when I was out with the locals they told me it wasn't legal in California - true or were they just scared of my driving?

The US do weird things :)... I remember being in San Fran for business and had a hire car. Just picked it up, nice mustang.

Sat at a traffic light turning right (or left can't remember), red traffic light... when the car behind me starts hooting, so I put my hands in the air (indicating I was unsure what he was protesting about). Hooting carried on for 10 seconds at which time I got out the car and strolled over to ask what the 'bloody' problem was. The driver then burst out laughing and said 'Typical limey doesn't know the rules'... Big texan lad who thankfully had a sense of humour about and gave me a quick 5 minute run down of the quirks. Such as undertaking, yeilding at red traffic lights and such.

Side note : Thankfully he was friendly, because when he got out the car, by god he was a LOT bigger than me :p

Oh yes, lane 1 & wang it.

Seriously I sit in lane 1 and cautiously make progress while the middle lane morons drive in a daze & the daisy chain of death occupies the outside lane. You have to have a planned escape route should anyone move over and it's a bit risky near junctions when people carve over to the sliproad at the last minute.

I do most of my driving in a truck, at night, which is limited to 55mph. You would be amazed at how many cars I undertake because they are sitting in a dreamworld at 50 in the middle lane. When i first go past them, some speed up and pull away, but they never pull into the inside and you can bet i'll catch them up again in a couple of miles.

:yeahthat:

Only when indicating left to turn into another road. ;)

As for lane hoggers, I don't undertake, but I do (providing it's safe to do so) cover the the nearside lane so that I'm straddling both lanes IYSWIM. That generally catches the attention of the sleeper in front and they pull over. If not, a nice long 2 second flash with main beam generally does it.

On a three lane Mway and Mr Sleeper is dawdling along on an empty Mway in lane 2 and I want to pass, as I move from lane 1 to 3 I generally give a long flash with main beam to catch their attention whilst executing the pass.

If on a busy Mway you have three lanes of traffic and lane 1 is moving quicker than lane 3 then the traffic isn't undertaking. But if you move from lane 3 to 1 and then back again, then that would be an undertake, and potentially dangerous.