The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New Brake Caliper needed ... i think!

d00gzy

Well i found the cause of my problem after several visits to quickfit to be a siezed caliper. They told me that the caliper is constantly pushing the pad to disk causing it to wear fast on one side (at the rear). They managed to release the caliper back to put the new pads on but say i still need a new caliper. Best they can do is get a price from toyota for a new caliper!

Is there an easier solution?

Any idea roughly how much this is gonna cost me? just drove the car home thereand feels ok with no noise!

And you are confident its seized?

If i was you id take it for a second opinion mate :p

I have no idea. not mechanically minded im afraid. My mate is tho! In the end i still needed rear pads as the one side only had 1mm of life left. The warning shim has been stratchin for a few days now. They said that with it being siezed it will wear the new pad down fast, until the same thing happens again. At first they said the piston wouldnt budge and thought they might have to put the old pads back on just to get me mobile but they managed to free something. Still say i need a new caliper tho.

They were the only people that could get the pads in stock so quick so i stuck with them.

Will get another opinion 2morro. Just glad theres no scratchin noises!