The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fuel Leak!!

Havard

Been getting a whiff for the last few days but wasn't sure where is was coming from or whether it was petrol or diesel from the other cars!!

Moved the Supra yesterday and found a big patch of petrol mixed with the rain on the drive!! Been to my local garage and found the leak but it's right up behind the suspension where the fuel pipes leave the tank and about 6" along.

I would imagine the fuel pipes have corroded but I am curious to find out if this is a common problem!!

H.

Been getting a whiff for the last few days but wasn't sure where is was coming from or whether it was petrol or diesel from the other cars!!

Moved the Supra yesterday and found a big patch of petrol mixed with the rain on the drive!! Been to my local garage and found the leak but it's right up behind the suspension where the fuel pipes leave the tank and about 6" along.

I would imagine the fuel pipes have corroded but I am curious to find out if this is a common problem!!

H.

i have a spare fuel line if you like. FREE too!

i have a spare fuel line if you like. FREE too!

Very generous, I'll let you know tomorrow, Shytot has given me the number of a mobile mechanic who is coming first thing tomorrow.

Heard of a few going like that Paul.

Do you know where they have gone Rob. Mine is just in front of the tank and it is leaking onto the twin pipes of the backbox of the exhaust. I have put a small tray underneath for the time being but there is now a drop about every 3 seconds...:(

I will not start it until tomorrow as the leak is far worse when the engine is running. Has got the be a split in the pipe as the pressure from the pump is making it worse. Is there a fuel filter near the tank??

H.

Very generous, I'll leet you know tomorrow, Shytot has given me the number of a mobile mechanic who is coming first thing tomorrow.

Do you know where they have gone Rob. Mine is just in front of the tank and it is leaking onto the twin pipes of the backbox of the exhaust. I have put a small tray underneath for the time being but there is now a drop about every 3 seconds...:(

I will not start it until tomorrow as the leak is far worse when the engine is running. Has got the be a split in the pipe as the pressure from the pump is making it worse. Is there a fuel filter near the tank??

H.

if its a pipe at the rear i dont have this sorry (didnt read your post properly.) i have the pipe that goes from the filter to the engine.

No there isnt mate, only the in-tank sock and the one under the passenger seat area.

Cheers Sean, looks like it's a corroded pipe then. Just been out and checked the tray underneath and there is hardly anything in there. The leak seems to have stopped but it pisses out when the fuel pump is working!

At least it won't be a problem until the mechanic arrives tomorrow. Time to get the cheque book out again, me thinks!

H.

:O surely you don't mean that?

But then again cars are expensive to fix unless you can do it yourself. I should know I've spent all day realigning my clutch and doing a temp fix to me brakes till my new discs and pads come :( BUT you could toss it my way if your getin rid ;)

I'll get it on me mates ramp and have it spick in a day! :D

H.

Corroded fuel & brakes pipes are becoming more and more common now, the last one I had in was on the fuel return line.

Its best to change the lot (fuel & brake pipes) as the rear subframe and tank will need to be dropped out.

The rear subframe has to be dropped out to fit

Corroded fuel & brakes pipes are becoming more and more common now, the last one I had in was on the fuel return line.

Its best to change the lot (fuel & brake pipes) as the rear subframe and tank will need to be dropped out.

The rear subframe has to be dropped out to fit

:(

Woot!!

The car is fixed and not expensive either. Chris, mobile mechanic that Shytot told me to use turned up this morning. He had a good look at the fuel lines and found a small section where the corrosion was really bad. The pipes are tucked up behind a plastic cover and are clipped to the body. This seems to be a little water trap and this has corroded the pipes in a 3" section. The rest of the pipes look really good considering. He's checked the brake pipes aswell and reckons they are in really good knick!

Chris has been here nearly 3 hours and charged me £60 for his time including the replacement pipes.

To say I am happy is an understatement!!:)

H.

Woot!!

The car is fixed and not expensive either. Chris, mobile mechanic that Shytot told me to use turned up this morning. He had a good look at the fuel lines and found a small section where the corrosion was really bad. The pipes are tucked up behind a plastic cover and are clipped to the body. This seems to be a little water trap and this has corroded the pipes in a 3" section. The rest of the pipes look really good considering. He's checked the brake pipes aswell and reckons they are in really good knick!

Chris has been here nearly 3 hours and charged me £60 for his time including the replacement pipes.

H.

Nice one mate. :D

Woot!!

H.

Glad you got it sorted, did he replace the complete pipe or cut the rusted section out and replace with rubber fuel hose?

Glad you got it sorted, did he replace the complete pipe or cut the rusted section out and replace with rubber fuel hose?

He was used some rubber fuel hose in the place where the corrosion was. Should I be concerned. I thought that most modern cars used rubber now??

H.

He was used some rubber fuel hose in the place where the corrosion was. Should I be concerned. I thought that most modern cars used rubber now??

H.

Only be concerned if the ends of the pipe weren't flared out, as the high pressure in the line can pop the hoses off if not.

Only be concerned if the ends of the pipe weren't flared out, as the high pressure in the line can pop the hoses off if not.

Hmm!! I'll ask Chris. He seemed to have done this sort of thing before and has put the rubber over a good length of the old pipes!!

He's got a Evo, so he must know what he's doing.....:D

H.

:D Glad its sorted Paul ...........hopefully you wont be selling now ;)

Cheers

-Ian-

Still not sure tbh. The insurance is up in Feb. If anything goes wrong between now and then it will be a gonner. Like I said, it doesn't take me long to get pi$$ed off with something!!

I have started looking at the car and swearing at it, which is never a good sign.....:D

I think a couple of years without a flash car and then a Porker would be nice. Worried though, if I do that then I may never get another car as a hobby....:rolleyes:

H.