The mkiv Supra Owners Club

new alarm which one?

d_d

Hi all, Just got a supra TT

Need some advice really ive got to get an alarm for insurance purposes CAT 1 that is and im also thinking i may as well get a turbo timer built in, Just wondered what peoples views was on this and any certain models or setups you guys are running

why would you recommend a Clifford over a Toad for anything but an 'NA auto'?

:innocent:

Horses for courses I would imagine. You wouldn't want to spend more on an alarm (950) than you did on the car (NA Auto)....:D

I believe the guy who does the mobile Toad alarm fitting is highly reccommended. There is a link to e-bay somewhere!

H.

The Clifford turbo-timer that comes stock with their alarms is quite basic and lacks the functionality of the more advanced standalone units. Still, it's illegal to walk off and leave your car running on a public highway anyways so I don't see it as too much of an issue. I usually wait with the car and turn it off when I'm happy she's settled down but far the best method IMO is to run the car very slowly off-boost rather than to let the car sit there after a hard run.

The Clifford turbo-timer that comes stock with their alarms is quite basic and lacks the functionality of the more advanced standalone units. Still, it's illegal to walk off and leave your car running on a public highway anyways so I don't see it as too much of an issue. I usually wait with the car and turn it off when I'm happy she's settled down but far the best method IMO is to run the car very slowly off-boost rather than to let the car sit there after a hard run.

:) Has to be done with Dukes. Leave that to idle down and expensive trouble isn't far away. :)

I used the guy people recommended on here...

He's fitted an alarm on mine and some mates cars, various makes and all with built in turbo timers and has done an excellent job:)

I think i paid £220 all in and he fitted it outside my house;)

Contact details; Kevin 08009530636 / 07977582747

Jamie

Whilst I agree that if a determined thief may take the car regardless of what's fitted, you do have to consider that that type of theft is fairly uncommon. What you're protecting against is oppotunists and joyriders.

By getting a good alarm and having it well fitted, what you are actually buying is time. The longer and more awkward it is for a thief to steal a car, the less likely they are to steal it.

Personally, I'd go for a Clifford. Get one with a Dual Zone Proximity sensor. If the car is parked on your driveway, or in a garage, there is no reason why your outer zone should trigger and as such, acts as a nice early warning for yoy and a good deterent to most thieves. The Tilt and Motion sensor is also a good option.

Personally, I would also ask the installer to activate the Blackjax option. This can be a PITA to get used to initially, but becomes second nature after a while. What it does, is prevents someone taking the car even if they have the keys and remote for the alarm. With Blackjax turned on, you have to enter the alarms valet code, (like a pin code), every time you drive the car. If someone gets the keys, the car will start and allow them to get a short, safe distance away before immobilising and locking out the remote controls.

If you're on a budget, get a Toad or Stirling system, (Both made by Toad). You should be able to get one of these fitted for under £300.

Try to go by recommendation rather than the cheapest price. I've seen many, many people that have been caught out by shoddy installers. Usually the type that have no base address and come to you with just a mobile contact no.)... And avoid GAP!