The mkiv Supra Owners Club

how easy is it to fit rltc?

miko_supra

It's not rocket science. Providing you have a basic electrical knowledge and know how to solder, you'll be OK.

You may need to test some of the cables to ensure you have the right connections for the injectors and ABS wires. Soldering the ABS wires is the most awkward part.

well i have enough electrical knowledge and soldering skills etc... i havn't bought one yet, but are they vehicle specific and what sort of instructions do they come with?

well i have enough electrical knowledge and soldering skills etc... i havn't bought one yet, but are they vehicle specific and what sort of instructions do they come with?

If you're buying it new, you order one for a Supra. If you looking at second hand, make sure it has the capability for 6 cylinders.

They come with instructions for fitting to pre-facelift JDM TT's and a UK TT. There are a fair few different ABS ECU's and a few have different connection locations, hance you may need to check what you're connecting to.

There's a reasonable amout of info on here though.

I would recommend a Fields Harness too mate. I had all sorts of issues with mine when it was hardwired in by CW, not his fault, but past bad connections (old scotch blocks!) on the ECU undertaken 'cleverly' by the previous owner. Rich (TrickTT) nearly had a heart attack when he saw them! :)

Ask yourself do you REALLY need it, try without any trac control first. I have driving my single without any for a couple of years now

i dont really need it. its just i dont use the supra that much so i can't get to know the car aswell as others might. i tried over taking someone today and the wheels span up right next to them. it's mainly in the wet that i'd want it. i guess i might wait and see how i get along until next winter when i might also up the boost.

but if you guys say it is an achievable diy job then i shall give it a go!

But he might WANT it. I don't think I NEED it, but I like it. It's an added safety net, that when used correctly, can make the car more fun to use :)

That's spot on. I mean it's like saying do you need 500bhp, do you need fat back tyres, do you need turbos... well you don't need them but we all want them :D

as for doing it, with the right diagrams to hand and basic tools, you could do your first one in about 4 hours I'd say - mine took a little longer as I got the abs diagram mixed up with an export spec for a while - doh!

It's a little fiddly/awkward in places but fairly straightforward overall.

Fields harness - get one, I'd not do it any other way personally or you are hacking in the car wiring loom and the thing is not so easily removable (you want to sell it or move it to another car) and it makes the job much easier as you can sort the wiring out in doors in comfort!