The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What do I get?

Guest MarkPayne

Guest MarkPayne

Hi All

I am on the edge of getting a Supra. My path so far has been..

Celica GT4 1994 ... I did the Unichip thing and had this up to 305BHP on 1.1 bar. I loved this car and had it for about 4 years then....

Subaru STI Type UK with Prodrive engine pack..... hmmm ... to be honest I got bored of it and kept it for 18 months then

Ford Mondeo diesel AND a Rev3 MR2 Turbo T bar. This is where I am at right now.

So I would keep the MR2 and ADD the Supra but there is no way my wifey will let me do that, so the Supra will have to replace the MR2.

Things I am stuggling with...

1. Mods worry me. I dont want an nasty loud boy racer experience that will fall apart on me. For example the GT4 had a Blitz Nurspec exaust on it but I ran it with the baffle in. BUT ... I like a bit of power maybe up to 400BHP but not too 'ard.

2. I like and then hate body kits. Cannot make my mind up. I really hate the carbon wing thing!

3. The stock wheels look a bit naff to me. A bit bigger is neded?

4. Do I need the big brakes or are the standard J Specs ok?

5. The Auto thing has me thinking. Never owned an auto. Should I get a 6 speed?

6. I can go to about £12K ... do I get a facelift VVti or get something a bit older with more mods?

7. Will I be sad to lose the MT2 tubby?

Help me!

Mark

PS .. I am 43 if this helps the context!

Hi Mark.done the mr2 tubbie,the supra is imo far better,much more fun.Had auto the first time and loved it,(great box)Went for the tt6 this time,a real joy to drive,just going bpu+ Depend's on how far you want to go with the modding?but you won't be dissapointed.Good luck.Mine has a full trial kit,i'm 46.

1. Mods worry me. I dont want an nasty loud boy racer experience that will fall apart on me. For example the GT4 had a Blitz Nurspec exaust on it but I ran it with the baffle in. BUT ... I like a bit of power maybe up to 400BHP but not too 'ard.

There are quieter exhaust options and baffles, don't panic :)

2. I like and then hate body kits. Cannot make my mind up. I really hate the carbon wing thing!

That's one only you can decide really.

3. The stock wheels look a bit naff to me. A bit bigger is neded?

If the stock wheel style came in an 18" I think they would look a lot better and to be honest I don't mind them too much as a 17 but larger wheels do add a certain something, a decent quality 18 is you limit if you want to retain the handling. 19's are a compromise and can be made to handle OK but I wouldn't.

4. Do I need the big brakes or are the standard J Specs ok?

"OK" sums them up really, with decent pads they get the job done, the optional / standard larger ones are better though. Some J-Specs come with them.

5. The Auto thing has me thinking. Never owned an auto. Should I get a 6 speed?

Try both.

6. I can go to about £12K ... do I get a facelift VVti or get something a bit older with more mods?

Don't worry too much about age but get the nicest car you can for the budget you have, it's all about being happy.

7. Will I be sad to lose the MT2 tubby?

Yes.

Drive as many as you can, do your research and use your head - it's a great time to be in the market for a Supra, prices are silly these days so you should get a nice one.

Oh and import mileage - don't let that sway you, chances are it's been tampered with ;)

Don't get an NA. I need less people to have them and then mine will be worth more.....:D

You can get a lot of Supra for £12k....;) Have a good look around and test drive at least 4 or 5. It's a good time to be buying as you can get a great car for very little money!

H.

For 12K, you can afford a very nice well sorted and mildly modded Supra that's in good condition and has been well cared for. Somebody will be selling theres on here soon enough and chances are, you'll know the car's history and who maintained it (another huge plus). I've been through quite a few performance cars and would bet the TT6spd would make you most happy. Good luck and be sure to shop around and do your research.

Michaels answered it all. With your car history do not go NA.

Check out the "classified section" go for owners who have spent a long time at this forum.

Also "Garage Whifbitz" under forums. He's a very well respected uk tuner and friend to this club and always has good Supras for sale.

Lastly, Jurgen jm imports is an importer of quality cars and a member here. Look for his posts under members list and drop him a line.

Welcome to the club too. :)

Edit - Jurgen is under the "Traders section" as jm imports.

I personally would be looking at this one

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=129832

lol, I was just about to shamelessly plug my car :). Thanks very much Mikey.

In answer to your questions Mark. The UK brakes do make a very big difference IMO. I had the J Specs on originally and then swapped to the UK's and it feels a lot better now.

I wouldn't get to hung up on age either. Like Michael says, just get one that you like and that is within your budget.

18" BBS LM's are the perfect wheels for a Supra IMO ;)

The auto / manual is all down to personal preference really. I have owned an auto before and would never have one again. I love my six speed. I would try both though if I was in your position.

You probably will be sad to see the MR2 go. I had a MR2 Tubby as well a few years ago. Whilst it did give me some headaches due to a problem I had with it, I still really liked to drive it.

The Supra is brilliant though, in all ways apart from interior space.

Oh and yes you should buy this car http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=129832

It is just shy of 12k, has UK brakes and does not look too chavvy IMO ;)

Good luck with your search.

Mark