The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Houston we have a problem!

SILKYSMOOTH

Looks like I have my 1st glitch with the supra and I am hoping it is something easy to fix. There are two faults at the moment.

1 - This seems to be quite common at the moment- car didnt start and just clicked on the turn of the ignition....but has always started eventually, after reading loads of threads on this, I am hoping it is just the starter motor that it just needs overhauling or replacing.

2- I noticed the second problem today, after it didnt start again, when it did start, there is now a funny kind of noise near the oil stick area, like there is something slipping or loose or rattling around as the engine idles .

The engine is still running fine but you can hear a slight grinding/loose rattle/...not sure what it is???

Can anyone help me, whats my next step?

WIERD...just went in the garage and to start it up again, and started 1st time with no problem.

I can here the noise it almost sounds like a fan belt slipping.

I am going to check as much as I can over the next couple of days, without trying to be unsociable during the festivities, great timing for car problems!

One of your ancilliaries could be buggered or their bearings stuffed which is what is dragging your starter motor down. Take off the drive belt and try turning it over. If it starts no probs then look at the ancilliaries, if not look at the starter motor.

Ancilliaries....what are these? though bearings, for some reason sounds very likely/suitable cause judging by the sound, it has that kind of worn bearing sound as when a mechanical part rotates.

The bearings if you are gonna change them yourself only cost about 15 quid I believe if you can source them. The cam belt is something I would get a pro to do. The ancilliary belt if you are taking it off and have a replacement to hand yes I would put a new one on. Next time you find it doesn't start, then pop the belt off. I think running it now is only advisable if you really really have to until you isolate the issue. I think (do a search) that Jives motor was actually stalled and rendered unmovable by a seized ancilliary so this could happen on a highly worn ancilliary bearing.

The bearings if you are gonna change them yourself only cost about 15 quid I believe if you can source them. The cam belt is something I would get a pro to do. The ancilliary belt if you are taking it off and have a replacement to hand yes I would put a new one on. Next time you find it doesn't start, then pop the belt off. I think running it now is only advisable if you really really have to until you isolate the issue. I think (do a search) that Jives motor was actually stalled and rendered unmovable by a seized ancilliary so this could happen on a highly worn ancilliary bearing.

Thats really good advice..thank you....:thumbs:

I am away from the car now so I cant check anything until tomorrow or boxing day. I think your solution holds a great deal of water, sounds like this could be the answer.

I'd definitely check your battery. This one baffled me once.... all the electrics worked fine, the stereo, lights etc but it simply wouldn't start - gave that ticking noise... I guess Supra's need a fair amount of current to get them going and a battery on its way out might not be able to provide that.

does the rattling noise get worse as you turn the steering on idle? could just mean that the power steering system needs bleeding

let me know if you need to know how to do this...very easy

i also have a spare starter motor in good condition too if you need

I will check this tomorrow, and will definately let you know on the starter motor, cheers.

I'd definitely check your battery. This one baffled me once.... all the electrics worked fine, the stereo, lights etc but it simply wouldn't start - gave that ticking noise... I guess Supra's need a fair amount of current to get them going and a battery on its way out might not be able to provide that.

Valid point, I will charge the battery for 24 hrs or get another one to test it.

However, the noise which started today, did not go away when the car is started and I believe it gets a bit louder when I press the accellerator

does the rattling noise get worse as you turn the steering on idle? could just mean that the power steering system needs bleeding

let me know if you need to know how to do this...very easy

i also have a spare starter motor in good condition too if you need

checked Steering - no noise when moving the steering wheel.

Thought I would make a quick attempt to start the car again today, it started 1st time, no problem switched it off and started it again and it started fine again. The noise which developed yesterday is still there though.

I'm not 100%, but the car may be running too rich, more than usual or maybe just the effects of winter and running the car in the garage. ,I'm thinking about the 02 sensors which may need changing also. Until I do a thorough check I can't do anything...I may have to get a pro to look at it?

Thought I would make a quick attempt to start the car again today, it started 1st time, no problem switched it off and started it again and it started fine again. The noise which developed yesterday is still there though.

I'm not 100%, but the car may be running too rich, more than usual or maybe just the effects of winter and running the car in the garage. ,I'm thinking about the 02 sensors which may need changing also. Until I do a thorough check I can't do anything...I may have to get a pro to look at it?

Need a pro bud. O2 sensors only obviate a problem when your fuel consumption goes through the roof. No noises etc.

Hope it's sorted soon bud..:)

Checked again today....

All fluids are okay

All Belts are okay

Engine seems fine.

After closer inspection I think all the problem is the starter motor, as there have been problems with the occassional 'click' on starting the car, I think the starter motor is on its way out and the bearing of the starter motor are knackered which is the result of the noise. Just had my brother look as well and he thinks its 100% starter motor and I think so too.

So need a starter motor.

Checked again today....

All fluids are okay

All Belts are okay

Engine seems fine.

After closer inspection I think all the problem is the starter motor, as there have been problems with the occassional 'click' on starting the car, I think the starter motor is on its way out and the bearing of the starter motor are knackered which is the result of the noise. Just had my brother look as well and he thinks its 100% starter motor and I think so too.

So need a starter motor.

Not too bad then bud. :) Give Mr Manley a ring maybe. Or Jezz.:)