The mkiv Supra Owners Club

It's had the full CW treatment

cheekymonkey

Finally, all the bits arrived, and Chris Wilson performed the work in exactly the amount of time promised (even though he made a good effort of trying to maim himself last week)

The car's handling feels so much better now, the ride is totally different. The only outstanding issue is I get masses of torque steer (I think that's the term) which I need to look into.

Work performed:

New Yellow Bilsteins all round, with CW springs

Geo Reset

Full set of suspension components

- Front/Rear Lower/Upper arms

- Front and Rear Drop Links

- Subframe mounting bushes

- etc etc etc :)

UK Brakes at Rear (already had UK fronts)

CW pads all round

New SMIC (stock)

New crank pulley (stock)

CW Clutch

New flywheel (stock)

Cambelt / Water pump (stock)

Engine Oil and Gearbox Oil

New O2 sensor (stock)

Gearbox oil seal

crank oil seal

+ other oil seals that I have forgotten about

Fitment of Wideband O2 and EGT sensors (electronics to follow)

HKS SSQV with supra specific fitting kit

New facelift headlights

Crazy thing is, I could have had a single conversion with the amount it all cost... but that will have to wait for next year now!

If you mean it's trying to turn under acceleration...

It's not torque steer as that's only associated with driven wheels that also steer ie FWD.

What it could be though is an under inflated rear tyre. These low profile tyres don't show low pressure very obviously so get out there with a tyre gauge and check em all. If they tyre has lost pressure suspect and check for a puncture.

If you mean it's trying to turn under acceleration...

It's not torque steer as that's only associated with driven wheels that also steer ie FWD.

What it could be though is an under inflated rear tyre. These low profile tyres don't show low pressure very obviously so get out there with a tyre gauge and check em all. If they tyre has lost pressure suspect and check for a puncture.

Oh, OK not torque steer then. But that sounds exactly right, and it's what CW suggested as well. It may also be uneven wear in my case, since one of the tyres blew out some months ago and I had to replace it.

Cheers for the correction :)

Suspension is always expensive bud. It's also the bit lots of people don't do because more power is the most wanted upgrade.

Well done to you though, I'm sure you will reap the benefits.

I'm fairly sure torque steer only applies to front drive so best ask Mr Wilsons opinion of that.:)

Suspension is always expensive bud. It's also the bit lots of people don't do because more power is the most wanted upgrade.

I figured I want a 100% base to start modifying power wise. Plus, not being that experienced I can barely handle 300+ bhp right now, let alone 500 odd :) Next mod will be a track day for myself, to learn :)

I figured I want a 100% base to start modifying power wise. Plus, not being that experienced I can barely handle 300+ bhp right now, let alone 500 odd :) Next mod will be a track day for myself, to learn :)

Exactly right mate. Most refreshing and I'm sure CW would agree too.:)

Almost the same work i had done a few weeks back although your list is a bit more comprehensive :D

A well setup car with new suspension components will be quicker than a more powerful but tired suspensioned car anyday so it is a good investment in my mind ;)

You mention an issue with rear wheel steering. i am having an issue with tramlining from the front since changing the parts :blink: smooth roads it is fantastic but it is twitchy on uneven roads. So i need to sort that out. I am probably going back to oem springs too.

You mention an issue with rear wheel steering. i am having an issue with tramlining from the front since changing the parts :blink: smooth roads it is fantastic but it is twitchy on uneven roads. So i need to sort that out. I am probably going back to oem springs too.

I still get that, I put it down to low profile tyres though. Really makes you feel every imperfection in our terrible roads though. Looking forward to the track!

What springs did you have, and why are you going back?

Eibachs at the mo, I think the car will handle better with matched springs and dampers. Im not fussed about the height anymore. I just want it to handle as well as possible on stock parts and i think going back to a set of VVTI springs will do that. Also it will be a bit more compliant over the bumps going down the country roads i enjoy driving :)

Wow that is a lot of work, I can see why it was expensive.

I always thought it was called torque steer too.... more of an issue with engines mounted in line as the torque of the engine tries to twist the chassis on its axxis as the power is put down.

The first and second sup I had this was noticable, but the vvti does not do it at all, at least not that I notice, even at large hp. Maybe to do with the uprated diff, and while i was messing about i found a few extra bits of oem chassis stiffening.

Look forward to getting mine back. it's under cw's knife after his mince pies settle.

It is torque steer from the rear, usually caused by mismatched tyres, or tyre pressures, bent subframe or chassis et cetera. Unless extreme a bent chassis can be dialled out in the geo adjustment. I was unhappy with the uneven tyres on the car, but there is talk of a wheel and tyre change, so I can re assess when that's decided.

I have done bit on your car this morning Mike, and may do a bit more after lunch :) There's sod all on the box, the pub's shut today and tonight, so I may as well do a bit of work ;)

Happy Christmas everyone!

It is torque steer from the rear, usually caused by mismatched tyres, or tyre pressures, bent subframe or chassis et cetera. Unless extreme a bent chassis can be dialled out in the geo adjustment. I was unhappy with the uneven tyres on the car, but there is talk of a wheel and tyre change, so I can re assess when that's decided.

I have done bit on your car this morning Mike, and may do a bit more after lunch :) There's sod all on the box, the pub's shut today and tonight, so I may as well do a bit of work ;)

Happy Christmas everyone!

Fortunately my local's open..:eyebrows: So no work here.:)

Happy Christmas to you all too. :)

All the best jobs are done a bit at a time :)

no rush, make the most of the biggest meal of the year everyone

I checked the tyre wear last night and it is significantly uneven on the rears. One side is nearly new and the other is quite worn so I expect this is the culprit.

So need to decide if I am replacing the wheels or getting new tyres.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Yep, I am pretty sure that'll fix it, but if not I can sort it out. No point in doing anything until the tyre / wheel situation is decided and resolved though :)

All the beat, and thanks for the work!