The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Befuddled?

jefferson

guys help me out a bit here - i was under the impression that when a car is imported - as part of the sva test it needs to have the speedo changed so it reads in miles instead of kilometres, however the odometer is not changed to read in miles - the car stays in kms - as an option you can have the odo changed also to read in miles but if you do this the odo is effectively wound back to give you an accurate mileage reading - it has become apparent that this is not the case - i have now viewed 2 cars, which i intended to buy, which have both had odo readings in excess of 100k - both sellers advertised their cars as miles and had divided the odo "km" reading by 1.6 to get the miles - however, on test drive, both cars were clocking in miles - when challenged about this the sellers say that the cars were converted to miles at some point in their recent lives and therefore the mileage was very similar to that advertised but could provide no proof of when they were converted. ok sorry for the long winded story - question is how many other cars out there are like this? who else owns a car that does this?

The (E)SVA test requires the speedometer to read in MPH, but if the SVA test wasn't needed, then the MOT does not check the speedo. It would depend on the year of the car, and when it was imported.

I don't think there's any legal requirement to correct the odometer if the speedo is converted to MPH.

:D

Mine is

It had done 88000 kilometres 56000 miles when it was converted; therefore rest in miles so now reads 130000 on odo but has done 100000 miles only. I have a receipt which shows this being done when the sva was done though.

Rich

i would think you would want to keep the paperwork of any conversion to evidence when it happened - nice one that you have it

The (E)SVA test requires the speedometer to read in MPH, but if the SVA test wasn't needed, then the MOT does not check the speedo. It would depend on the year of the car, and when it was imported.

I don't think there's any legal requirement to correct the odometer if the speedo is converted to MPH.

certainly no legal requirement to do so but if it was done i understood that the odo should read all in miles or all in km's not a mixture of both

If this is any help - this is what I just grabbed off the net, first is from the official ministry site and the other two from other sites

'Items checked during an SVA

Doors, their latches and hinges

Radio interference suppression

Protective steering

Exhaust emissions

Smoke emissions (diesels only)

Rear-view mirrors

Anti-theft devices

Seat belts

Seat belt anchorages

Installation of seat belts

Brakes

Noise and silencers

Glass: windscreen & other windows outside

Seats and their anchorages

Tyres

Interior fittings

External projections

Speedometers

Wiper and washer system

Fuel input

Design weights

General vehicle construction

Side impact protection

Speedometer

The law requires that speedometers must include a miles-per-hour display - however many cars get through the SVA and MOT with KPH displays.

The SVA test checks the speedometer calibration which must be accurate within designated limits

Guest sideways supra

yes mine reads mph on both.105.000 kms when converted now on 117.000 so done 12.000 miles ontop of 105.000 kms.iv no proof of this so when i come to sell might have problem. but alot of people understand this is a common prob with imports.