The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advice on painting headlight's

Chris and Alana

Hi guy's. I'm planning on taking the headlights apart and painting the inside's black, masking off the chrome rings to give it a facelift look. How do you go about painting them. They have some sort of plastic chrome covering of some sort so I thought I would give it a rub down with some 1200 wet and dry and then use a plastic primer ontop of the chrome stuff. Then paint it black with what ever was on the shelf (car paint) Does that sound ok? Also do you recommend using laquer or not.

when I did my lights - I couldnt be bothered to mask the rings off so painted the whole lot. I didnt use any extra silicone to seal them as there was load of the mastic stuff left to real seal them D: I just used plastic paint - didnt bother with sand paper or primer :innocent:

lol, so did you just use something like plasticote or what ever its called straight onto the surface?

Chris,

Would you do a couple of us a favour! if you manage to do it over the xmas period! would you do a step by step guide to painting them,- with pics (if possible) as i know it would be benefical to alot of us!

Ps how many times could i say would!!

If it's not been done before then yes, I suppose I could do that :) I'm hoping to have them done in the next few weeks so keep an eye out.

I done this plus adding new lenses as well.

once the headlights were out i heated the light where they come apart with a hair dryer. Using a few knifes i prised the two halfs apart, (this takes a while so dnt rush plus you burn your figers a bit) Once apart i masked the rings and painted them black, When assembling again i just heated the original glue and it sealed fine.

The laquer would make it look shiney and without, it would have a more mat like finish. I think either way would look good, just depends on what you like :)

my advise is dnt make to much of a fuss with them with clear lac and stuff. If you have hazed lenses you wont see the finish that well anyways. I have clear lenses on mine, i did not do clear lac or any fancy rub down or good paint, and mine came out really good, well you can see the finish in the pic,s on page 1. If you think there not that great finish do the rub down and lac thing