The mkiv Supra Owners Club

One for the CSI wannabies...

Digsy

Something very annoying and odd happened to my Supra tonight.

I'd been out at a pub with a couple of workmates for a pre-Christmas meal. Its a rural pub on a busy-ish road. The only road through the vilage in fact. For those in te area it was the World's End in Mulbarton. We were in there for about four hours, from 7:00 to 11:00. THe pub was very busy and a couple of the groups were a bit loud and merry, but there were no idiots in there and there was no trouble or fights or any cobblers like that.

I had parked my car in the carpark right under a very big streetlight and facing the road. There was only a parking space on the left and to the right was the carpark entrance. The area is very open and well lit and completely visible to the public.

Anyways, when we came out of the pub I noticed that my car was a bit iced up (we've had thick freezing fog here today). While de-icing my car I noticed what I thought were large chunks of ice all over the bonnet, windscreen and roof. Upon closer (thankfully careful) inspection, these turned out to be shards and chunks of glass.

I had a look round the car to check everything was intact, which it was. So I told my mates what had happened and went inside to see the landlord and find out if they had any CCTV cameras covering the carpark. Unfortunately they didn't, but the landlord came out to have a look anyway and to help me get the glass off the car. While "recovering the evidence", we found:

There were two types of glass. One was about 5mm thick and granulated, like bits of a shattered windscreen, save for the fact that one section had a right-angle corner in it. The other was cleary from a Carling pint glass because we found a bit with part of the logo on it. When all the bits were picked off the car (they were only on the bonnet and windscreen and a little on the roof) there was nowheer near enough to account for a whole pint (or even a half pint) glass. There were no major peices on the ground.

Also, I am going to have a closer look in daylight, but (fingers crossed) there is no damage to my paintwork or bodywork at all, so I'd say that the glass wasn't broken actually on my car, but somewhere else and then deposited on it.

I just can't figure it out. If someone wanted to damage my car armed with a lager glass then they coud easily have done it. But where was the rest of the glass and what was the other kind of glass doing there?

One of my mates thinks that something happend to one side of my car and it just got in the way of the flying debris. Maybe someone lobbed a glass and it hit a side window on the car parked beside me, but how the hell that window glass then got onto the front of my car is beyond me.

Maybe someone had a mishap elsewhere and then decided it would be a laugh to put the glass all over my car. It certainly was evenly spread out, but why do it so as to not cause any damage, and again, where was the rest of it.

Anyways, in five years of Supra ownership, this is the first time anything worse than having my valve caps nicked has happened. Hopefully tomorrow I won't find any more surprises.

Tossers! :(

depends on the glass.... if it was a pint or something smaller they are designed to "shatter"... saefty glass... end up in about a million pieces...theory is it breaks into small pieces so you dont injure yourself. but a glass can go just by squeezing it... believr me! I run a bar so see this all the time. unless there are other major makes in the area I would worry about it fella