The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Does the supra not rust then?

Carl_S

I have had 3 and no sign of it anywhere. Our R34 (2000) is kept in a sealed de-humidified container, and it's rusing badly on the tailgate. We has an Evo 4 6-7 years ago.. that rusted too. I recon sups are pretty good...

W also have 4 transporters in thebusiness, one was specified with metallic paint; no sign of rust in 11 years of living outside; all the others are all standard and rust buckets.

I think there are 2 spots where rust normally appears over time:-

1) In-between the boot and the roof (you have to have a look in-between the gap when the boot is shut) every car Iv looked at has rust here.

2) Underneath the black plastic trim where the window wiper gubins’s are located.

Water must settle there a lot and cause this :(

From what I recall it's the J-Spec cars that are most likely to suffer rust as undersealing isn't done to the same level in Japan due to the better weather and lack of salt on the roads?

Saying that, UK cars have had hard lives on crappy UK roads so they won't have gotten off lightely either! :rolleyes:

When I bought a Celica ST202 from Japan, I had it fully undersealed as a first job the moment it got here and all I can hope is most Supra owners or traders do something similar as rust is the cancer of the car world! :(

Saying all the above, haven't seen any with rust on the surface so far, my UK spec had some underneath but that was due to some moron jacking it up wrong and the underseal coming away! :(

It's quite a simple process to try yourself if you can be bothered and worth checking underneath when winter arrives each year.

Not wanting to teach peeps to suck eggs but cleaning right in the wheel arches when washing and ALWAYS cleaning these and the underside when near the coast is a must as the salt can be a killer!

As I say, just my 2p worth and if i'm wrong speak up as i'm just relaying what ive heard/come to understand.

Pete :)

From what I recall it's the J-Spec cars that are most likely to suffer rust as undersealing isn't done to the same level in Japan due to the better weather and lack of salt on the roads?

Saying that, UK cars have had hard lives on crappy UK roads so they won't have gotten off lightely either! :rolleyes:

When I bought a Celica ST202 from Japan, I had it fully undersealed as a first job the moment it got here and all I can hope is most Supra owners or traders do something similar as rust is the cancer of the car world! :(

Saying all the above, haven't seen any with rust on the surface so far, my UK spec had some underneath but that was due to some moron jacking it up wrong and the underseal coming away! :(

It's quite a simple process to try yourself if you can be bothered and worth checking underneath when winter arrives each year.

Not wanting to teach peeps to suck eggs but cleaning right in the wheel arches when washing and ALWAYS cleaning these and the underside when near the coast is a must as the salt can be a killer!

As I say, just my 2p worth and if i'm wrong speak up as i'm just relaying what ive heard/come to understand.

Pete :)

people say there is salt on roads at winter.... when do they start salting.. and how long does the salt season go on for?

• 5 months later...
Tailgate rusts around the glass. Seen it on quite a few now

my car has been in the country 3years now, and ive noticed that there is only 1 bit of rust i can see and thats at the bottom corner of the tailgate glass passenger side, its tiny and going to sort it before it gets hard to fix. the other parts like between the boot and roof are completely rust free as is the scuttle panel by window wipers. my mate went right thru her the other week, big service and theres nothing on her on the underside what so ever, even if you look into the front bumper all the pipes, rad, horn under the hood, it all looks new, ive looked at uk cars and or my its just surface rust everywhere. if you want a really perfect body condition car definatly get a fresh import, knock spots off any uk car.

I have got 3 little rust spots on mine which i will sort out soon...

My first one is where the boot and windsceen is (not bad at all)

My second is under the n/s/r arch where the wheel has hit the arch at some point in her life and, has caused it to chip the paint by about an inch and when it rains,

it looks worse than it is...:(

My last one has been caused by a stone chip on the roof, and as a result, has started to bubble slightly around the chip but i have sorted this one already...:)

Kurust, works really well, stops rust in its tracks! :D