The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Octane Booster

supraguye

review on 5th gear was that all octane booster actually lost in the region of 2bhp (or was it 2%??) - so I wouldn't bother.

I can almost confirm this as well - used it for an RR day with adverse affects - or at least it certainly did NOT do any good.

i'm running with 10% toluene (have to use something as only have 95RON at pumps here in Ireland)

definite improvement ...... hard to get the stuff though and pricey I'd say - its an industrial solvent (basically a RON of 114 on its own)....

I'm a chemical engineer so can get it through work...

Perhaps I should sneak through our stores and Labs and see if I can find something similar. ;)

exactly what i'm doin,,,,,hope i don't get busted...i'd have a hard time explaining that one away - why i'm sneaking flammable solvent out in bottle a laptop case ;)

You car is stock ??, if it is then it is a waste of money over using 97-99 ron fuel, the ECU is slow to adjust as well so constant use would be required and that gets expensive for very little gain IMO anyway

My car is at BPU.

My reason for asking is that ... out here I THINK we have 95 ron fuel and therefore I was interested in determining whether there was any additional performace/safety to be had

My car is at BPU.

My reason for asking is that ... out here I THINK we have 95 ron fuel and therefore I was interested in determining whether there was any additional performace/safety to be had

prob not the best idea to run the TT on 95.......detonation/pre-ignition..etc

your car is a 98 same as mine so VVTI, ya??

I'm told the throttle technology and VVTI is much better w.r.t knock detection and prevention....so it may be much less of a problem....

prob not the best idea to run the TT on 95.......detonation/pre-ignition..etc

your car is a 98 same as mine so VVTI, ya??

I'm told the throttle technology and VVTI is much better w.r.t knock detection and prevention....so it may be much less of a problem....

Yes it is a 98 vvti .... thanks for the pointer re. knock

Guess it can't hurt putting in a bottle per tank then

My car is at BPU.

I'm sure I read that when they quote that a bottle raises the octane by 1 point, they mean 0.1 RON. Therefore to get up to 98RON you'd need to add 30 bottles. Don't think would be good for the engine :shrug: