The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BPU or Hybrid.

ShamelessTT

Hi all,

Just wanna get your thougts, i want a bit more power in the new year. I was looking @ going BPU etc, which in my understanding would cost a couple of grand to do it properly from a completely stock car.

How much would hybrids cost? as im thinking i might aswell go the full hog as thats where i wanna be in the long run.

Im not looking to go any further than say 450bhp due to my autobox etc as i dont wanna spend silly money going manual really.

Im just looking for power for the summer......any thoughts?

Si

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

Just wanna get your thougts, i want a bit more power in the new year. I was looking @ going BPU etc, which in my understanding would cost a couple of grand to do it properly from a completely stock car.

How much would hybrids cost? as im thinking i might aswell go the full hog as thats where i wanna be in the long run.

Im not looking to go any further than say 450bhp due to my autobox etc as i dont wanna spend silly money going manual really.

Si

i think going the hybrid route is not the greatest if you will want 450, for not much more you could go small single;) your best bet would to go bpu first, if that is enough for you then go hybrids as you will not get much more with them, if you feel you want more, then small single is the way forward, i started bpu, then hybrids, then single, if i went back i would have gone straight single and saved myself thousands;)

Hi all,

Si

I was putting out 451 on hybrids, the hybirds themselves new are like £1200 for the pair, but there are other mods to which you will need to do to be safe - BPU is somthig you need to do anyway if you go for hybrids

On whifbitz the turbos are like 1300, if i could do the lot for under 4k i think id go for it im just not keen on the idea of going single. Maybe im going over kill and BPU wouldnt be a total waste of money as id still need the other bits like fuel pump etc etc.

you pay the money you take your chance, as said i would never dream about hybrids, but then i wanted more power than bpu could give me:D

My auto gear box is my problem i guess, else id probably just save and go for a big single. But its a good 3k for a gear box isnt it......

Think ill drop it to someone for the BPU upgrade new year (prob CW, and get cam belt done aswell) , see how much better it is. Ill just make sure i upgrade the ancillaries which would make going single easier in the long run.

For BPU is it required to have a big ass exhaust? cos i dont really wanna make a huge noise lol? obviously a decat will be required but id rather stay standard looking wise.

My cars been stock all its life, i feel a right w**ker being the first to mess with it lol. All ive done so far , its brand new uk brakes all round, respray, new glass lights, full service .....but with bpu or single theres not much going back.

My auto gear box is my problem i guess, else id probably just save and go for a big single. But its a good 3k for a gear box isnt it......

Think ill drop it to someone for the BPU upgrade new year (prob CW, and get cam belt done aswell) , see how much better it is. Ill just make sure i upgrade the ancillaries which would make going single easier in the long run.

For BPU is it required to have a big ass exhaust? cos i dont really wanna make a huge noise lol? obviously a decat will be required but id rather stay standard looking wise.

My cars been stock all its life, i feel a right w**ker being the first to mess with it lol. All ive done so far , its brand new uk brakes all round, respray, new glass lights, full service .....but with bpu or single theres not much going back.

the auto box will take up to 500, just fit a good tranny cooler and change the oil regular, then when funds allow go for the 6 speed conversion;)

Mine is also hybrids, but its te full setup, full fueling, standalone ecu, cams, etc. (see garage for more)

I got my hybrids for a good price, as m standard turbos were buggered.

If you are planning on buying new hybrids, I would suggest that you just spend the little extra and go small single.

If you're completely stock, BPU would make a great difference. If you're just looking for a bit extra for the summer, I'd go BPU and accept that you're not really gonna get over 400 (fwhp) but have a decent, fast street car and save a lot of cash and potential problems. Mine did 13.2 @ 110mph quarter mile at Santa Pod, at 1.05 Bar, so maybe get into the high 12's running at 1.2, which is fast enough for me.

IMO it's not worth it, I'd go with a small single if BPU is not enough for you.

Hybrids alone would be £2k I'm guessing, plus bigger injectors, pump, ECU etc.

As thorin said, certain people will say skip hybrids and go straight to a single but in my opinion hybrids still have a place in the grand scheme of things. GOOD singled cars are very very pricey to setup well, hybrids are good becuase you have no mapping costs etc and still retain the sequential system which a lot of people love.

my rough estimates would be 2-3k for hybrids possibly slightly more and 7-8k+ for a WELL setup single and when I mean well setup, I mean not cutting any corners

this is all my opinion of course

As thorin said, certain people will say skip hybrids and go straight to a single but in my opinion hybrids still have a place in the grand scheme of things. GOOD singled cars are very very pricey to setup well, hybrids are good becuase you have no mapping costs etc and still retain the sequential system which a lot of people love.

my rough estimates would be 2-3k for hybrids possibly slightly more and 7-8k+ for a WELL setup single and when I mean well setup, I mean not cutting any corners

this is all my opinion of course

We've been through this before lol and I still disagree.

What you're comparing with those figures are polar opposites really.

"GOOD singled cars are very very pricey to setup well, hybrids are good becuase you have no mapping costs etc"

Come on now that's not really true is it. Hybrids do have mapping costs, higher fitting costs (than a small single setup) and require all the same supporting mods that a small single requires.

Cheers,

Brian.