The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Seized caliper pistons

Guest mossy86

Guest mossy86

Well

Im replacing my brakes front & back on my Jap N/A

1st one I tried on the front, one of the caliper pistons is seized any easy or recommended way to free it?

Also any tip's or warnings before I do the rest?

Well

Im replacing my brakes front & back on my Jap N/A

1st one I tried on the front, one of the caliper pistons is seized any easy or recommended way to free it?

Also any tip's or warnings before I do the rest?

You can only wiggle it out with the classic mole grips. One of the calipers, it may be the rear has a little hole where you can insert a small punch and gently tap out the cylinder. I refurbed mine a few years ago but can't remember which one.

Then just clean off any corrosion from the piston sides and re-assemble with the pinky grease from the Toyota refurb kit.

If you're replacing the brakes, why are you bothering to dismantle the pistons?

Guest mossy86

i ment brake pads....

Theres no hole...

I even tried putting it in a vice as it should be able to go in a bit more but its welded in...the other one goes in and oout free no probs....

Guest mossy86

Got them sorted....one of the slider pins was seized tried everything had to heat it up in the end...so new front pads are in going @ the back tonight.....thanks!