The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cutting bonnet

gaijin

Thanks Nic and all.Its not for a bonnet scoop though or vents.My intention,if i ever get around to it as i had the idea over a year ago,is to put two carbon naca ducts into the bonnet aka F40.Made full size templates and drawings to see how it would look.Couldn't flamin' believe it when i saw pics of the new GTR;there they were ,two naca ducts in the bonnet!Bloody Nissan using mind probes again!Ah well probably never do it,probably.Still....

IIRC the best way to cut a supe bonnet is with a dremmel of some sort. It will eat disks but you will have good control over what you cut :)

yep....as above, ive recently made a custom bonnet for mine and it was a bitch of a job with the dremmel but the best way

get some reinforced grinding discs there about £17 for 4 from B&Q and you will need about two packs at least

DONT use a angle grinder or jigsaw under any circumstances, you will tear the bonnet to pieces

Thanks for the help everyone....think i can feel a coldness in my feet!

ah dont be like that fella, if your a bit queamish the best thing to do is pick up a stock j-spec bonnet and have a bash, whats the worst thing that can happen - you waste £50-100, the best thing that can happen is you end up with an original one off (that also fits properly)

You're right Paul.Sod it.Going to do it.I think it should look ok(hope)Thanks again for the info and input and encouragement.Lord give me a steady hand!

mark the section out you are cutting with masking tape then have a "hack" at the scrap area in the middle to get a "feel" for how it cuts, dont forget when you've marked it out check underneith at the bracing as you need to keep as much of this as possible, otherwise floppy bonet, good luck

Thanks Simon ;you know the feeling Gaz ,and your tips are great Paul.Never occured to me about the bracing issue.Have to psyche myself up now.Will get a diamond disc and have a practise.

I supply Carbon NACA ducts to race teams and could fit them for you.

My number is 07890 116201.My business is called Carboncraft.

I cut a hole in my previous j-spec Supra if that helps.

I have all manner of diamond coated tools and regularly work on various high end road cars and race cars.