The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Annoying Coolant Leak!!

Havard

Only noticed yesterday but I seem to leaking a small amount of coolant when the car is started up. The car is going into my local garage tomorrow for a good look underneath but I thought I'd ask to see if anyone has experienced this!!

When the car is cold, there is no leak. when the engine is hot, there is no leak. We only seem to lose anything when the car is warming up and then the engine is switched off!

The leak is at the rear of the engine as the coolant is collecting on the cross member that runs accross the back of the front wheels where the wishbones are attached. Can't get any pics at the moment.....:rolleyes:

Any ideas!! The fact that the leak only happens when the car is running made me think about the water pump but I don't know where this is and also thought that it would leak all the time. The coolant reservoir level has hardly moved but the heater is not as good as it was!!

H.

Probably not coolant but the AC unit.

Hmm!! The AC hasn't worked since the summer. Had the system charged up by Ibrar @ JAE, 2 days later the system wasn't working again.

The liquid leaking has a red tinge to it!

I thought that the AC has a gas in it though??

H.

I "think" that most AC show some form of evaporation after they have been switched off hence what looks like a leak.

That would not normally have a red tinge though.

Cheers Col. Hopefully we'll find out tomorrow....;)

The car is running great besides this. Getting underneath will give us a better look at what's going on. Difficult to see anything as the car is so damn low!!:D

H.

Right then!!

After about 1/2 hour of looking under the bonnet and under the engine we have found that one of the hot water (coolant) pipes has a hole in it!!:blink:

As you look at the car it is down the right hand side of the engine. It looks as if it has been rubbing the brake fluid pipes!

Generally, should these be isolated or is it just a case of after 12 years of rubbing it has given up the ghost?

I have had to leave the car in the garage overnight as they are going to get some replacement hose tomorrow......:(

H.

Right then!!

After about 1/2 hour of looking under the bonnet and under the engine we have found that one of the hot water (coolant) pipes has a hole in it!!:blink:

As you look at the car it is down the right hand side of the engine. It looks as if it has been rubbing the brake fluid pipes!

Generally, should these be isolated or is it just a case of after 12 years of rubbing it has given up the ghost?

I have had to leave the car in the garage overnight as they are going to get some replacement hose tomorrow......:(

H.

Nice cheap bill then H. Result. :)