The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Need an idea to prevent wheels touching arches

VenomX

My wheels are 255/35/18" and every time there's irregularity on the road or tight cornering the wheels touch the rear arches producing a nothing healthy scraching noise.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/705/wheels001lc0.th.jpghttp://img143.imageshack.us/img143/4144/wheels002ho4.th.jpghttp://img99.imageshack.us/img99/597/wheels003qu5.th.jpg

Every piece of information on how to best solve this matter is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

for that width your wheels are obviously the wrong off set . I run 275/30/19's on my rears with no problems .

the only thing i can suggest is get some new wheels if ya want a cheap rough fix try those bump stops that you wrap in your spring coil but beware you loose ya suspension so it will become very hard

Very hard but safe, right?

Sorry to hear about your prob mate, it's a bugger.

This is what I would consider, in no particular order:

1) Chocks in suspension to raise car.

2) modified shocks and springs to raise car.

3) Roll or cut arches.

4) Get overfenders properly welded on.

5) Buy narrower wheels / wheels with correct offset.

6) Get adjustable suspension with the stiffest springs.

yeah rolling is cost effective, and maintains the strength of the bodywork, unlike cutting. But check it out professionally to make sure its going to clear those arches after they are rolled, becuase its looks like to me that the tyres actually protrude from the bodywork (just like mine although less)

:)

Your wheels look illegal, wheels are not suppose to protrude past the wheel arch like that.

They are obviously the completely wrong offset, which will be badly compromising the handling. I'd fit a new set of wheels personally and flog those on ebay.

Your wheels look illegal, wheels are not suppose to protrude past the wheel arch like that.

They are obviously the completely wrong offset, which will be badly compromising the handling. I'd fit a new set of wheels personally and flog those on ebay.

I agree, Deffinately get some different wheels mate with the correct offset, you should be able to get some quite cheap off e bay

:yeahthat:

Must be a lot of stress on wheel bearings with that offset.

Yep i agree, the wrong offset, and illegal as they protude beyond the arches

I used to run 265/30/19s without rolled arches no problems (i think widest you can go without rolling is 275.

Ive now had my arches rolled and gone up to 295/35/19 with no problems.

Beware of rolling though. Although it may only cost ~£45 to 80 a corner, if the paint cracks whist its being done, you will be shelling out a lot more on respray costs in the end. I think its better to sell the alloys and buy new ones.