The mkiv Supra Owners Club

why don't my front fogs work?

Carl_S

Did they work before you were fiddling around with the intercooler pipes and front splitter or have they always been broken?

If its the second one try the fuse box or switch connections, even the bulbs?

Always been broken.. will look at fuses and bulbs

read it before tried to turn on, still no joy.

Standard ones in the normal light unit or some crazy aftermarket things dangling in the mouth of your whale nose?

How are you turning them on?

normal light unit, I turn them on by twisting the fog light ring on the lights stalk, but this only ever turns on my rear fogs, never the front ones.

normal light unit, I turn them on by twisting the fog light ring on the lights stalk, but this only ever turns on my rear fogs, never the front ones.

in that case, I'd say they've been disconnected!. as is apperars someone decided it was a good idea to use the front fog switch for the rear fog lights!

I don't think he's actually in the States ;)

The ring switch should work your front fogs. Sounds like an SVA decision made by someone has rewired the rear fogs onto that switch and probably taken the fronts out the loop.

-Ian

Yes Ian, thats what it sounds like. oh well. I better change my profile so that it says uk instead of usa. thanks

Are the retaining clips on your bulbs held in place properly? The front fogs are not earthed unless the clip is located on the back of the unit. If they're not earthed, they won't work.

Yes the two wires are correctly on (male and female spade)

have you just tried the little ring switch on its own?

I believe from memory you need to have at least side lights on for the collar switch to activate the fogs?

Yes tried that, thank you.

I reckon Ian C got the right answer, it was a decision that SVA compliance guys made to disconnect front fogs.. for whatever reason.

Yes the two wires are correctly on (male and female spade)

Yes tried that, thank you.

Most bulbs have three pins. The fog only has two. The metal clip holding the bulb in place is the earth. If that isn't in place they won't work. So having the bulb connected to the spade connector and dangling for example, will not work.

I didn't realise this when I bought some replacements. When I connected the new ones and left them dangling to make sure they worked, they didn't. It wasn't until they were put in the holder with the metal clip in place that they worked.

If it is the SVA complaince thang that Ian has suggested, then fair enough but seems a hell of a complicated way to wire in rear fogs.