The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Aftermarket wheels and handling

cheekymonkey

My car has been dropped of at CW's "estate" for a full suspension rebuild including Bilstein shocks and CW springs. I am using the list from Nic about what to replace but basically it's everything, all the arms and dropbears and other things I don't quite know the purpose of :)

Now, my car has aftermarket wheels and according to CW this means the handling of the car with never be 100% unless I get wheels with the right offset, and apparently 99% of all aftermarket wheels are wrong.

Now, I don't *need* 100% - I am not off to the track every weekend, in fact I've never tracked this car. Am I wasting my money?

I think CW mentioned there's one type of Lexus wheel that has the right offset, but surely there's more choice than that if I do need to change my wheels...?

Agreed CW is the Guru, but does that mean everyone with non standard wheels is a mug? :D

:D

I think Chris does most of his spirited driving on the track, so hes a bit of a perfectionist, in the end its if you feel happy about the way your car drives that matters, not have i got the best offset;)

:yeahthat:

I'm about to do the same thing; CW makeover.

I can tell you that i swapped the blingers i had for stock 18 lexus wheels, on advice, and although they are not the same offset as stock the difference they made to the handling was exceptional. So I would say do as he says;

For sure I am sticking with these wheels until I can find something that is even better.

I was really surprised how much the handling improved by just changing the rims.

I think Chris does most of his spirited driving on the track, so hes a bit of a perfectionist,

To be honest the track was never the problem for me; it had loads of performance on track, maybe not so progressive, but never any complaints and grip a plenty. It's on the road that the problems start!

I can tell you that i swapped the blingers i had for stock 18 lexus wheels, on advice, and although they are not the same offset as stock the difference they made to the handling was exceptional. So I would say do as he says;

I have 18's on currently - AVS Model 5's. I am not sure if they count as Bling but I like them!

As CW has the car, perhaps I will ask him what offset they are, and how different that is from stock.

It's pretty disenheartening to spend 2.5k on bits, wait 8 weeks for 'em, drive 2 hours and then be told you're wasting your money though :p

I have a single car on Blitz Technospeed 19" alloys and HKS Hipermax suspension and a stock TT on Stock wheels and the drive in the stock car even with the original (old) suspension is vastly better, makes you wonder if the bling is really worth the sacrifice in feel sometimes, especially in the wet and approaching a corner on a bumpy road at speed :D

To be honest the track was never the problem for me; it had loads of performance on track, maybe not so progressive, but never any complaints and grip a plenty. It's on the road that the problems start!

That was my point, track and road call for totally different setup, and if you are used to track, a road car will feel awful by comparison, so i was saying that Chris will be able to pick out lots of problem areas on a road car that most drivers would probably not even notice, hence my comment " if you feel happy about the way your car drives":)

It's pretty disenheartening to spend 2.5k on bits, wait 8 weeks for 'em, drive 2 hours and then be told you're wasting your money though :p

Join the club :innocent:

What you don't know you can't beat yourself up over, although in many aspects I wish I had spent a lot more time reading through the forum before I started spending money on the car, or at least befriended a few people in the know, so they could advise me.

That was my point, track and road call for totally different setup, and if you are used to track, a road car will feel awful by comparison, so i was saying that Chris will be able to pick out lots of problem areas on a road car that most drivers would probably not even notice, hence my comment " if you feel happy about the way your car drives":)

AH HA!

apologies. agreed

I'm quite happy with the OZ super T's and eagle f1 rubber . The handling seems pretty good for a big heavy RWD car . I would like to change them sometime as personally i dont think they suit the car that well but i'll be going for the wheels i like the look off and to be honest the weight of the wheels dont make a big differenceto me as the car is quick enough and i dont plan on many track days .

Surely if you have found some good wheels at the correct offsets etc you should be passing this knowledge onto other members Ian ? I'm sure not every single member will be dashing out to buy some .

I have a single car on Blitz Technospeed 19" alloys and HKS Hipermax suspension and a stock TT on Stock wheels and the drive in the stock car even with the original (old) suspension is vastly better, makes you wonder if the bling is really worth the sacrifice in feel sometimes, especially in the wet and approaching a corner on a bumpy road at speed :D

This is what counts.. this is where CW is the best advisor.

I didn't go mental on wheels (newby) but did get the info from Gaz at Envy and haven't had any issues.

I think CW mentioned there's one type of Lexus wheel that has the right offset, but surely there's more choice than that if I do need to change my wheels?
Most aftermarket wheels are around 30-35 offset. RWD Toyota/Lexus are 50 offset. You can find aftermarket wheels with the standard offset, it just takes more effort and there is less choice.

I think CW mentioned there's one type of Lexus wheel that has the right offset, but surely there's more choice than that if I do need to change my wheels?
Most aftermarket wheels are around 30-35 offset. Standard RWD Toyota/Lexus wheels are 50 offset (sometimes 45). You can find aftermarket wheels with the standard offset, it just takes more effort and there is less choice.