The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Yet another tyre post ;)

keancy

Okies, as most of you know I had my car raised slightly last week and when my car was at the garage the guy said to me do you realise you have odd sized tyres?? :search:

Anyways, I didn't really get what he meant so today I wrote down what I have got sat on the Supra to get peoples input and tell me if I got a problem.

So at the front I have: 235/40/ZR18/91Y Pirelli P7000

At the back I have: 255/35/ZR18 Bridgestone Regno

So the only difference I see is that the back ones are slightly lower profiles??

Correct me if I am wrong please.

Ta, peeps. :)

PS: What does the ZR infront of the 18 mean and what does the 91Y mean???

Plus: How do people rate Nankang tyres?? Used them over 5 years on my Fiat, always been good.

That's the same size that I've got on mine. The 255/35 gives a closer match to stock rolling radius than 265/35, which is why I went down from the 265 that were on when I bought it to the 255 I've got now. Slightly cheaper too :)

The Z is the speed rating. Generally the higher up the alphabet the letter, the higher the speed rating. The 91Y might be the load rating of the tyre - mine were rated for 600kg per corner I think.

Can't help on the Nankang tyres sorry.

Did the garage mean that you had odd sized tyres left to right as opposed to front and back? As a powerful RWD car, surely a garage would expect the rears to be wider than the fronts? I know I would!

Nankang is this what they want to sell you? Find another garage, they're either trying to get you to buy some new tyres or don't know their trade very well.

Firstly lol nobody is trying to sell me anything and my garage is a top bloke hun.

The post is for info for me. I have driven the Nankangs very well for the last five years and never had a single problem, but having said that the Fiat was a fwd.

They are btw £68 each for front and £72 each on the back.

PS: I don't need tyres right now as they are fine I just want to gather info for when the time comes so I can calculate the outlay when I do need em. All advice is greatly appreciated as always. :)

They are btw £68 each for front and £72 each on the back.

PS: I don't need tyres right now as they are fine I just want to gather info for when the time comes so I can calculate the outlay when I do need em. All advice is greatly appreciated as always. :)

I'd say you get what you pay for with tyres - and with those tyres at about half the price I'd expect to pay for decent ones on the Supra, I'd probably avoid them.

Has anyone answered your initial question about odd sized tyres then??

H.

Yes Juan has pretty much. Makes sense to me anyway.

That's the same size that I've got on mine. The 255/35 gives a closer match to stock rolling radius than 265/35

What about Avon

ZZ3

When you're driving your high performance car to extremes, you need a tyre that excels when pushed to the limit, that tyre is the Avon ZZ3.

With its aggressive-looking directional tread pattern, silica-enriched rubber compound for supreme wet weather grip, and confidence-inspiring handling characteristics, you can rely on the ZZ3 to take whatever you throw at it.

http://www.carscene.com.au/newsevents/avon_01.htm

Yes Juan has pretty much. Makes sense to me anyway.

What about Avon

ZZ3

When you're driving your high performance car to extremes, you need a tyre that excels when pushed to the limit, that tyre is the Avon ZZ3.

With its aggressive-looking directional tread pattern, silica-enriched rubber compound for supreme wet weather grip, and confidence-inspiring handling characteristics, you can rely on the ZZ3 to take whatever you throw at it.

Too slow to answer H's post!

Do a few searches - tyre discussions are commonplace on here. The tyres that seem to get positive comments are Goodyear Eagle F1s (if you can get hold of them!), Pirelli Pzeros, Dunlop P9000(? - might be S), Bridgestones, Toyo Proxes....

I tried....but the question I asked in return wasn't answered by Keancy! The sizes posted seem ok to me.

Sorry.

Did the garage mean that you had odd sized tyres left to right as opposed to front and back? As a powerful RWD car, surely a garage would expect the rears to be wider than the fronts? I know I would!

No they are the same both sides mate.

No worries dude! :)

Giggle. I am a dudess mate ;)

Hmmm. It definitely seems a bit odd that they would point out that a RWD car has wider rears than fronts

Yes possibly, but then they are originaly a bodyshop all tho you'd think they still would know the reasons,hmmmm never mind no problem realy.

Is he not refering to the 35 and 40 profiles!

I used to think that this was a measurement rather than a percentage of the width, therefore giving a similar circumference!!

H.

That would be my lightly guess as that part didn't become apparent to me till I was looking for tyres tonight. Never even dawned on me while I wrote them down under torchlight earlier rofl

Giggle. I am a dudess mate ;)

I knew that.... Most girls I know get called Dude though ;) And it's not even a throw back to Bill and Ted - I just seem to call everyone dude!

Yes possibly, but then they are originaly a bodyshop all tho you'd think they still would know the reasons,hmmmm never mind no problem realy.

As H says - they might be confuzzed over the profile size.

I knew that.... Most girls I know get called Dude though ;) And it's not even a throw back to Bill and Ted - I just seem to call everyone dude!

As H says - they might be confuzzed over the profile size.

Aye, who knows. But anyway thank you both. I am a bit wiser now when I gotta buy tyres. Found the Eagle F1's for £111 for front btw. £137 for back.

Aye, who knows. But anyway thank you both. I am a bit wiser now when I gotta buy tyres. Found the Eagle F1's for £111 for front btw. £137 for back.

That's a good price for them! I just paid about 500 for 4 bridgestone potenzas. There is a very good tyre/wheel website knocking around that has a tyre calculator - you put in the stock tyre sizes, what tyres you're looking at, and it will tell you the % change in rolling circumference between the two. As long as the ones you want to put on aren't massively out from stock, you can't really go wrong.

The website is tyrebible.com or something similar...can't find it at the mo. I'm sure I had it bookmarked...

Edit...found it! http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

The calculator itself is on the second page. I'm not sure what effect having different tyres on front and rear has when dealing with good tyres (I bought mine with Sh*te BRand X on the fronts and Sh*te Brand Y on the rear!), but I'd definitely put the same on both rears/fronts. I'd say you can't go wrong with 4 Potenzas either - the grip I've now got is a world apart from what it was before!

A guy at my work has a Supra, not a member here, and he says he just changes one tyre at a time as he needs to - as a result he's got one fairly new rear tyre and one with over 6000 miles on it. Not sure I'd be happy doing that myself!

The calculator itself is on the second page. I'm not sure what effect having different tyres on front and rear has when dealing with good tyres (I bought mine with Sh*te BRand X on the fronts and Sh*te Brand Y on the rear!), but I'd definitely put the same on both rears/fronts. I'd say you can't go wrong with 4 Potenzas either - the grip I've now got is a world apart from what it was before!

A guy at my work has a Supra, not a member here, and he says he just changes one tyre at a time as he needs to - as a result he's got one fairly new rear tyre and one with over 6000 miles on it. Not sure I'd be happy doing that myself!

The Pirellis and Goodyears are on there since we bought so from previous owner.

As for your workmate :blink: eeeeeeeekkk nutter. I would only ever just replace one tyre if I (happend to me 3 weeks after new tyres) had a nail or other damage to it, depending how long I had used it.

The Pirellis and Goodyears are on there since we bought so from previous owner.

As for your workmate :blink: eeeeeeeekkk nutter. I would only ever just replace one tyre if I (happend to me 3 weeks after new tyres) had a nail or other damage to it, depending how long I had used it.

My thoughts too!

The same guy thinks he's pushing 480bhp from his mostly stock TT (exhaust and air filter are the only mechnical mods I can see on it!) :rolleyes: