The mkiv Supra Owners Club

complete waste of a day

adam bell

started to take my suspension off today,didnt realise what a shit job it is to do.

i am normally quite good at doing the odd jobs on cars but got really fed up doing my suspension.

got the clamps on unbolted the top mounting,got the bottom bolt out all was going well.

i then couldnt get the shock out the bottom of the car,undone one of the drop link bolts the other was siezed solid so i had to cut the whole thing off with an angle grinder.

still couldnt get the proper leverage i needed to get the shock off as i was on my own.

about 4 hrs later i gave up put it all back together minus the drop link which i now have to order 2 of as its not worth doing one without the other.

so i might just have to pay someone to do it instead..

Front's are easy...Roughly,

1. jack the car up, wheel off,

2. then undo the big bolt holding the top wishbone to the car body...

3. with that moved out the way it is a case of pushing down and pulling the spring and damper out in one piece. (once you have undone the bolts holding it in that is)

Front's are easy...Roughly jack the car up, wheel off, then undo the big bolt holding the top wishbone to the car body... with that moved out the way it is a case of pushing down and pulling the spring and damper out in one piece.

Will add one comment to this, if you jack up in the middle of the front cross member so both wheels are off the ground its a lot easier to push down on the bottom joint as there is not extra tension on the anti roll bar.

the top wishbone is that the one that goes round the suspension arm.

i tried to get the bolt out but it hit the body of the car,i didnt take the inner cowling off though.

i feel like a tit for asking all these questions

Take the cowling off, or at least enough to move it out the way. ;)

Ooops. I didn't say for certain you'd have to take the drop links off :eek:

It was quite a while ago when I did it, sorry.

edit: phew! It's not my fault ;) :

I think it's possible to do it with them still attached but it's best if you can undo at least one side on each end from what I remember.

cheers for all the comments.

i will have to order some drop links from steve manley,but i will get the rest done tomorow night.( i hope )

Doh this happened to me when I attempted my springs. The passenger drop link allen key bit was worn out. Luckily they are still in good nick so i didnt cut them off especially at about £45 each.

Then i pulled the suspension down and the shock just dropped out (Kinda).

Magic.