The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fancy upmarked gasoline

bodilx6

Just saw an old episode of Fifth Gear where they tested BP and Shells top gas vs a supermarked brand. Performace cars (subaru impreza) showed to get a nice gain from using this petrol

But... is this due to the higher octane rating or due to the fancy additives in fx Ultimate?

The test showed that the reason for this hp gain (something like 5%) was due to the car being able to adapt to the new type of petrol.

Will the supra, taking its age into considertion, be able to do the same? I always run 98 octane, but will there be a gain to switch to Ultimate or whatever they are called locally (in dk Shell is called V-Power)?

Have anyone actually tested and documented the supra for differences between running 91, 95 or 98 octane?

The turbo Supras love higher RON fuel. I could easily notice a difference, plus you're risking detonation with anything above stock boost with any other type of fuel. Some would say you're risking det even with stock boost on a Jap import.

The non turbos don't seem to show any benefit.

I can't really see how the engine could re-adjust to the higher RON fuel quickly without risking damage to itself. It would surely have to advance the timing in very very small increments or something. If it just went "oh, let see if we've got better fuel yet.. advance all the way. DET. oops, nope, still shit fuel, almost broke a piston" it wouldn't be too good.

I thought knock sensors were constantly adjusting the fuel a tiny weenie bit at a time and decting knock and then bringing it back, so you're effectivly always on the edge of the fuels ability?

I dunno. I suppose it has to work that way, but isn't it bad to be constantly inducing knock? Hence why I'm thinking it might be a slow/gradual process ?

Ok, so we more or less established that higher RON does help (thoug no documentation), but how about thoes funky fuels with additives? Anyone has any experiences with those? Here in DK, shells V-Power is 97 octane but you can also get normal 98 octane. What would be best for the soop, and why?