The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Vented bonnet

The Raven

Ok i admit it i tried to cut my old bonnet to vent it, along the lines of the ones in the DIY bonnet topic it doesnt look to bad however im not happy with it at all. I know i should leave it well alone but i wont, uk spec bonnet will cost to much and nearly all the other options seem "chav" anyone got any other ideas?

Failing that i will break out the dremmel and try again.

As it alloy its a bit hard to weld, so your limited, i have done large vents in steel bonnets but for alloy i would advise a dremmel with the reinforced cutting wheels,as its thin and very easily distorted, fileing is difficult, you need experience in doing this right;) you can use fibreglass bridger paste to build up and contour, but when i have done it on steel, i have welded rods to it to give some rigidity and support.

As it alloy its a bit hard to weld, so your limited, i have done large vents in steel bonnets but for alloy i would advise a dremmel with the reinforced cutting wheels,as its thin and very easily distorted, fileing is difficult, you need experience in doing this right;) you can use fibreglass bridger paste to build up and contour, but when i have done it on steel, i have welded rods to it to give some rigidity and support.

Im cheating and trying to cut along the support lines the two long parts to the left and right. so support isnt a problem. the problem it the finish. i dont want to have to put an edging around the holes but i fear i will have too. Im so going to mess this up real bad http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=63275&d=1188251772 i want it to look like this

All i can suggest is that once you have cut your shape as close to the supports as you dare, use a fine file and use it at a shallow angle to the edge, almost like your filing along the length of the cut, takes a bit of practise and a steady hand , but it should give you a good finish without distorting the alloy.