The mkiv Supra Owners Club

which supra to start with?

Kirk

I'm considering buying my 1st supra, idealy i want a twin turbo with a 6 speed but it maybe a bit of a handful as the power level jumps a lot from what I'm used to (60bhp) not exactly heart stopping I know so should I start off with say an n/a or should I just make the plunge for the twinny?

Thanks guys

Go for a TT, but make sure you can take it easy until the roads dry out :)

Going for an NA will probably result in the need for more power later on.

If you don't want to pay the top dollar price for a 6 speed then the auto is very good, and in some ways a better drive then the 6 speed ;)

Its cheaper too.... and you can use both hands to steer, or have one free for waving to girls etc LOL

Ive just gone from NA to TT and i dont regret owning my NA, it was still quick. The first time i drove it i darent press the accelerator at all it felt so quick.

I went from a 1.2 clio to the NA and it was great fun. If i had jumped into a TT im sure i would have crashed it.

The 10 months or so i had driving my NA was a pleasure and i was sad to see it go. But the TT is brilliant :) and still a handfull sometimes.

And as said above dont rule out the auto. My NA was a 5 speed manual and i wanted a 6 speed TT but i saw the perfect car that was auto. i thaught id give it a go then swap it out if i didnt like it.

Since ive baught the car ive driven on long trips (northampton to glasgow) Where the car was SO easy to drive and short journies just down the road to work where it is a pleasure in traffic.

Im now keeping the auto. Its great.

What is your age and driving experience? Have you driven heavy RWD cars before, what sort of power are you used too?

I'm sure many will recommend the TT as it is the car you'll most likely end up wanting, however I don't think it's a good idea to jump into one without having some decent driving experience first. IMO, a manual NA would be a good starting point for the very young drivers who don't have experience of high power, heavy RWD cars.

As homer has said all dependant on experience. If you haven't driven high power RWD cars, then something like an NA is a better option IMHO, purely because the torque on the car is smoother without the sudden jump also nice for daily driving. It will allow you to grow into the style of driving needed, without having to be ubber careful all the time learning in the TT and get the chance to really enjoy it.

Downside of course comes when you want more power, as the NA's are cost restrictive to upgrade to anything sensible. NA-T conversions are expensive when done properly.

Martin,

You are wlecome to come for a spin in my NA and see if you think it's quick enough. There are others locally with TT's who I would imagine make a similar offer.

You will then be better informed as to what decision to make. I went NA for the lower costs of running/fixing but I would also like a bit more power at times!!

H.

Wow a lot of mixed responces!

Well right now I'm 20 had bout 3 years legal road experience although I've been driving since I was 15 haha

I've driven a rear wheel drive bmw from a leasing company to my work which seemed easy enough even when I gunned it a bit.

I've been driving my lil vw polo for about 2 years, been good to me, a good little car but to todays standards it couldn't pull a skin off a rice puddin, about 30 bhp left

I've been in my mates single turbo supra which pumps just short of 800bhp and that was quick but that's a built purpose car and I wouldn't be looking to go that far for a while

A n/a would probly be cost effective for me for the next couple of years driving before considering goin powerfuller tt, Got bout 3k to spend on one but it want be till next year

Havard I wouldn't mind a drive about in yours sometimes to see what it feels like if you don't mind that is?

Cheers

Got bout 3k to spend on one but it want be till next year

Okay, you can more or less rule out a TT at that price. How much do you have for insurance? For someone your age they are normally around £1.5k a year, plus you'll need to fuel it (22mpg seems about normal on an NA)

Martin,

You are wlecome to come for a spin in my NA and see if you think it's quick enough. There are others locally with TT's who I would imagine make a similar offer.

You will then be better informed as to what decision to make. I went NA for the lower costs of running/fixing but I would also like a bit more power at times!!

H.

I doubt theres a whole lot of difference in running costs for an N/a and TT to be honestm both 3l heavy boats

Okay, you can more or less rule out a TT at that price. How much do you have for insurance? For someone your age they are normally around £1.5k a year, plus you'll need to fuel it (22mpg seems about normal on an NA)

I wernt realy expecting a tt at that price to be honest

1.5k a year fully comp doesn't sound much worse than when I 1st insured my 1.0l polo almost 3 years ago, infact it cost me £1850 for the 1st year and that was 3rd party fire and theft

An n/a sound is sounding good to me right now till I can get the money together to move upwards to the tt.

Need to go out in one to see what its like to drive and live with

Wow a lot of mixed responces!

Well right now I'm 20 had bout 3 years legal road experience although I've been driving since I was 15 haha

I've driven a rear wheel drive bmw from a leasing company to my work which seemed easy enough even when I gunned it a bit.

I've been driving my lil vw polo for about 2 years, been good to me, a good little car but to todays standards it couldn't pull a skin off a rice puddin, about 30 bhp left

I've been in my mates single turbo supra which pumps just short of 800bhp and that was quick but that's a built purpose car and I wouldn't be looking to go that far for a while

A n/a would probly be cost effective for me for the next couple of years driving before considering goin powerfuller tt, Got bout 3k to spend on one but it want be till next year

Havard I wouldn't mind a drive about in yours sometimes to see what it feels like if you don't mind that is?

Cheers

Not saying you wont be perfectly competent driving a N/A or TT BUT its experience and common sense that will stop you making the silly mistakes that seem to be the demise of a few new to Supra, or any powerful RWD car, and occasionally catches out even the more seasoned of us;)

For me its being able to read road conditions and knowing what the car could do should things go pair shaped due to things like diesel on the road, wet leaves, cow crap etc, or just plain greasy roads, and the most important of all being able to anticipate the actions of other road users, years of riding bikes has almost given me a second sight, and saved me on countless occasions, and never take for gospel that if someone is indicating right, thats what there going to do;) i know it sounds like egg sucking but this is one of the things that insurance companies base there rate on and why you will be paying big money to get insured, so IMO go for an N/A for start and be sensible and careful, then you will still be around and able to afford a TT:)

Not saying you wont be perfectly competent driving a N/A or TT BUT its experience and common sense that will stop you making the silly mistakes that seem to be the demise of a few new to Supra, or any powerful RWD car, and occasionally catches out even the more seasoned of us;)

For me its being able to read road conditions and knowing what the car could do should things go pair shaped due to things like diesel on the road, wet leaves, cow crap etc, or just plain greasy roads, and the most important of all being able to anticipate the actions of other road users, years of riding bikes has almost given me a second sight, and saved me on countless occasions, and never take for gospel that if someone is indicating right, thats what there going to do;) i know it sounds like egg sucking but this is one of the things that insurance companies base there rate on and why you will be paying big money to get insured, so IMO go for an N/A for start and be sensible and careful, then you will still be around and able to afford a TT:)

I know exactly where your coming from and typicaly cause of my age it screams wreckless boy racer but that realy isn't me although there is them times when you get that erge but I drive safely 9 times outa 10, appriciate your input man

I've had my NA about 3 months now and the power is plenty enough for me, especially at this time of year when you have to be so careful.;)

I'd start with the NA, build up your experience in this and then one day get the TT you really want.

Good luck finding one mate:)