The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hiya!

Multics

Hi everybody,

Just wanted to say hello and ask a few questions.

After a long thought I took the decision to sell my VW Golf mk4 and buy a Supra mk4 non turbo. I'm still looking for the right one and trying to read as much as I can. It seems that this is the right place, lots of knowledgeable ppl.

I've seen many ads on autotrader, ebay etc for non-turbo mk4's ranging from £2500 to £10000+. My question is what is the safe bet? I'm looking for a good base model, something reliable I can mod little by little. Your suggestions and insight would be more than welcome.

Thanks!

Welcome to the club! NA's aren't going to cost anywhere near £10k unless there's something very special about it!

Are you after a pre-facelift car or facelift? (Prefacelift is 93-96/7ish...not sure on the exact crossover date). If pre, a budget of 4-5k would see you get a very good condition NA, facelifts tend to be a little more, but not much.

I'd get some insurance quotes as well, as some people have found getting insurance a bit difficult recently, particularly if under 25. Also, import twin turbos aren't always significantly more to insure, if that's one reason you're thinking of going NA :)

Good luck with the search. Try and get to some meets too - everyone on here's friendly enough, and if you ask nicely, I'm sure someone will take you out for a spin in a TT so you know what you'll be missing out on ;)

Thanks for your answers guys!

Juanchan, to answer your question why I'm after at NA, I'm thinking more about the costs of ownership in total, like fuel, sevices etc, plus the fact that there's more that can go wrong with the TT model (or not?!). As I'm new to the Supra's it's true I'm taking maybe the conservative route, I've been in the VW scene for a while now and also started very conservative... As for insurance I got a quote for a 94 NA for £1200. I'm 29 with 1 year NCB. Does that sound anywhere right?

Insurance will be no more for a TT IMO. Quotes for me were always cheaper for the TT.

I'll give you this advice now and hopefully you'll take it up before you end up in the same pit as 90% + of the NA owners on here looking to sell and buy a TT. Don't buy an NA! Go for the TT in the first place and save yourself the time, money and hassle. Especially if you want to mod it - NAs get little gain, TT's it's how fast do you wanna go and how big's your wallet?!?

Welcome to the club :)

Cheers,

Brian.

Juanchan, to answer your question why I'm after at NA, I'm thinking more about the costs of ownership in total, like fuel, sevices etc, plus the fact that there's more that can go wrong with the TT model (or not?!). As I'm new to the Supra's it's true I'm taking maybe the conservative route, I've been in the VW scene for a while now and also started very conservative... As for insurance I got a quote for a 94 NA for £1200. I'm 29 with 1 year NCB. Does that sound anywhere right?

I've heard people say that for "normal" driving, the NA is no more fuel efficient than the TT. Obviously when giving it beans those thar tubbies will bring your mpg down a tad :D

Servicing, I'd expect both to be similar costs - same service intervals etc as far as I'm aware.

True, there is more to go wrong on the TT, and if it does, it can be more expensive. As a general rule though, these cars are pretty damn reliable being Japanese and all. I've got 104k miles on the clock and as far as I'm aware the turbos etc are all still the originals (including the intercooler....it's seen slightly better days I think!).

As tDR says, if you have any vague plans of modding for power gains, go for the TT as there is little to be had from the NA without digging deep into your pockets. Click on this for how easily you can gain bhp in the TT --> BPU

I also got quotes for both NAs and import TTs before buying mine and I found a fair few places quoted less for the TT. I was getting about £1500 for online quotes for imports when I was 23 with 4 years NCB just over a year ago.

HTH!

Welcome to the club i have a n/a and being my first supra i love it and feel its quick enough(stil quick enough to lose your license if your not careful) though i may get a TT in a year or so il see as for the insurance i never got quoted on the TT but the replies are interesting mine is £720 29yr with 2yrs ncb:)Its a 94NA AUTO AEROTOP

Welcome to the club i have a n/a and being my first supra i love it and feel its quick enough(stil quick enough to lose your license if your not careful) though i may get a TT in a year or so il see as for the insurance i never got quoted on the TT but the replies are interesting mine is £720 29yr with 2yrs ncb:)Its a 94NA AUTO AEROTOP

I had quotes that were cheap like that, but they turned out to be mk3 Supras instead. I had it last week - Adrian Flux outquoted sky by miles, but it turned out they were muppets and were quoting on a mk3. If that's on a mk4, then you've done well! Out of interest, who's that insured with?

• 2 weeks later...

Give AON a ring 01384 552670 for insurance!

Don't listen th Chan, he nearly got humiliated by a NA in the wet last year through Wales!!:sly:

Welcome BTW!!

H.

Don't listen the Chan, he nearly got humiliated by a NA in the wet last year through Wales!!:sly:

Don't listen the Chan, he nearly got humiliated by a NA in the wet last year through Wales!!:sly:

Operative word here.:p

TT all the way......:D

"Nearly" was good enough for me!

And I was about to post on your "sorry" thread to say you hadn't been offensive Paul!! :rolleyes::)

It was wet, I had really useless rubber on, and, errrr.....that dry stone wall was a bit close :D A Pancake run in the dry would be nice next time I'm up north - the two I've been on have both been wet now! Then we'll see :eyebrows:

And cheers Andy, at least someone has sense ;) TT all the way bud!

Lol, if you can cope with the question, why have you gone for an N/a 50 times a year then go for it.

If its a daily drive, perhaps another reason to go N/a. Personally what I noticed with my TT is that it doesnt seem to me less fuel efficent than my old supra mk2 2.5 n/a. When you boot it around thats when the fuel goes down quick.

:)

Hi Welcome :D

I take it you bought my old car looking at your avatar and garage? Good to see it staying in the supra fold.

Only thing is you and Andy seem to be using my pictures,some of them are from a photoshoot I had done, but they are actually copyright images. :blink: therefore only should be used by me.

Regards,

Vanessa

Hi Vanessa,

that's your car indeed! Andy told me a lot about you and how were taking care of it. Had it serviced at Whifbitz on Monday, I'm really happy with the car, such a difference from my Golf mk4...

About the pics, yeah no doubt they're really pretty that's why I used them, I will be taking new pics and replace yours if it's an issue... No worries :)

Hi Welcome :D

I take it you bought my old car looking at your avatar and garage? Good to see it staying in the supra fold.

Only thing is you and Andy seem to be using my pictures,some of them are from a photoshoot I had done, but they are actually copyright images. :blink: therefore only should be used by me.

Regards,

Vanessa