The mkiv Supra Owners Club

4" Downpipe help

Kev.O

Can anyone with a 4" downpipe please tell me how far the downpipe is from the rear water pipe that feeds the matrix system. A picture would be great ;)

Many thanks

It will depend on which DP you have but most of the off-the-shelf ones I've seen fit fine, though the clearance for the water feed pipe is quite close (about 1 inch). I don't have any pics.

It will depend on which DP you have but most of the off-the-shelf ones I've seen fit fine, though the clearance for the water feed pipe is quite close (about 1 inch). I don't have any pics.

Mine is a SP one, and is a lot closer than one inch :(.

I don't think I've seen an SP one before. Can the DP not be rotated slightly to bring the bottom end closer to the inner wing IYSWIM (presume it has a vband fitting to the turbo).

Is it the Tee to the stock #2 water feed thats a bit close or the metal pipe that goes up and over the cams?

Even if I move it fully to the inner wing, it still only leaves a gap of a few mm. I have wrapped the downpipe and put heat reflective material on the waterpipe but was wondering whether it will still cause a problem.

It's the metal pipe that goes up and over the cams, well it's the rubber part of it.

Here's what mine looks like:

Is it the lower rubber part thats close? On mine I flpped the vertical metal pipe upside down in take it further away from the DP, if its the fixed end of the pipe thats causing it to be close then I'm not sure what to suggest, apart from plenty of heat wrap!

Envy should have some experience of these since I'm pretty sure they used to resell SP kit (or was it Whifbitz, I forget!)

Is it the lower rubber part thats close? On mine I flpped the vertical metal pipe upside down in take it further away from the DP, if its the fixed end of the pipe thats causing it to be close then I'm not sure what to suggest, apart from plenty of heat wrap!

Envy should have some experience of these since I'm pretty sure they used to resell SP kit (or was it Whifbitz, I forget!)

Would plenty of heatwrap be ok?

It's the 90 degree part of this pipe:

Ah yes, that makes it clearer now :)

I don't know if there is a quick workaround, but if it's that close I would consider dumping the stock pipework and replacing with a high quality, heat resistant flexible pipe. It could be fitted to the existing water pump feed (at the water pump) and Tee'd in the same was as stock to the route behind the block and heater matrix feed. As it's flexible you can use clamps to keep it well away from the DP.

Nice work on the wrapping, very tidy!

Ah yes, that makes it clearer now :)

I don't know if there is a quick workaround, but if it's that close I would consider dumping the stock pipework and replacing with a high quality, heat resistant flexible pipe. It could be fitted to the existing water pump feed (at the water pump) and Tee'd in the same was as stock to the route behind the block and heater matrix feed. As it's flexible you can use clamps to keep it well away from the DP.

Nice work on the wrapping, very tidy!

Thanks Homer :)

Shame I've put the engine back in, it was all so accessible before ;)

I was going to make a bracket to hold the pipework in place anyhow, so this will move it away a little more, so should have about 10mm clearance. I don't suppose anyone would like to take a guess on the temperature of the heat wrap on the DP. It says on the packaging that it can reduce it up to 70% but that's marketing :D

Does anyone else have an opinion of where I should just wrap the decat a little more, or where I should try going down a different route. Thanks :)

this is a case where replacing the rubber hose with silicone would help. Wrap it as you have the rubber, maybe give it a scrumpled up extra layer (scrumpling traps an air void). Should be fine, the water throughput helps self cool the hose. Not ideal having it so close, but have had a similar situation on my Skyline for 2 years with no issues, wrapped similarly to yours, and still with stock "rubber" hose.

this is a case where replacing the rubber hose with silicone would help. Wrap it as you have the rubber, maybe give it a scrumpled up extra layer (scrumpling traps an air void). Should be fine, the water throughput helps self cool the hose. Not ideal having it so close, but have had a similar situation on my Skyline for 2 years with no issues, wrapped similarly to yours, and still with stock "rubber" hose.

Thank you for your input Chris, it's more appreciated. I'll have a look at getting some silicone pipework. I don't suppose anyone knows the internal diameter of the rubber hose :innocent:. I'll also order somemore of the heat reflective material and somemore exhaust wrap :)

Thank you for your input Chris, it's more appreciated. I'll have a look at getting some silicone pipework. I don't suppose anyone knows the internal diameter of the rubber hose :innocent:. I'll also order somemore of the heat reflective material and somemore exhaust wrap :)

If you ring me on my mobile tomorrow I'll measure a pipe that's off an engine for you.

I have been waiting for the agents to get back to me, which they haven't done. If you are desperate I'll sell you the one off my Skyline engine and I'll get another in due course. I think i have the right thread adaptor, but will need to check.

There's no rush thanks Chris. The engine won't be running this year as I still have plenty to do. Thanks for the kind offer though :)