The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is there any demand for Auto boxes?

saboteur

Hi all,

I have been thinking.. and the only way I can justify a manual conversion is by recouporating some of the money back from the stock auto box. Is there any demand whatsoever for Auto conversions here?

It may be a dumb question, but if I could shave even a grand off the conversion, it'll make alot more sense to me! :D

Find a cheap 6 speed N/a. If you have a TT then swap the engines and sell the Auto. You may save some money but it'll take alot of time and more money in the long run. not to mention trying to find a cheap 6 speed which will probably be a dog!

That route would require possible £5k+ to do. So not really the best idea as said it will possible not be the best example. Other thing is iirc not all 6sp n/a have ABS.

It really is a case at the moment of 'if its not broken dont fix it!'. Auto box runs great. Only done 33K miles.

Does anyone know the life span of the stock auto boxes? I'm thinking if it breaks soon then I'll have the perfect excuse! :sly:

You will be waiting a looooooong time, but like anything mechanical you never know. Increase your cars power to 500+ BHP it will soon break.

You will be waiting a looooooong time, but like anything mechanical you never know. Increase your cars power to 500+ BHP it will soon break.

This is what happened to mine, constant high torque on a big single will cause failure in the end, not sufficient cooling is a big problem with large power and auto boxes, you can add additional an cooler though to extend the life

It really is a case at the moment of 'if its not broken dont fix it!'. Auto box runs great. Only done 33K miles.

Does anyone know the life span of the stock auto boxes? I'm thinking if it breaks soon then I'll have the perfect excuse! :sly:

You could drain the transmission fluid and continue to use it? Plenty of power braking? :shrug: :D Should see the auto box on its way to an early grave.

why buy an auto if you really want a manual?? This is just a question, dont mean anything by it. So many people want to do a manual conversion, why not just buy a manual to start with... :search:

Only reason I would convert to manual is if I modified the car to the limits the autobox can take. (circa 450-500bhp?)

A buit autobox would cost roughly the same price as all the bits to do a manual conversion, maybe more. Manuals seem to resell at a higher price... so thats why :)