The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My turbo is Donald Ducked

jevansio

Well I went down to Motoscope with my 0.81 housing all excited, half an hour in and we were ready to prise the old hosuing off, when it came off I couldn't believe it.

The turbine blades had disintigrated around the edges, Richard said it was typical of high temps. Well those 1000+ temps I was running before may well have not melted a piston, but they sure have fecked my turbo.

Will get pics tonight. Luckily I phoned Michel & he has a 0.81 A/R GT4088R with a polished compressor housing :D, went up to get it from him & MS are fitting it now. Hopefully this new good turbo will unleash the power I've been craving top end. Ryan is mapping the car this weekend so fingers crossed Saturday afternoon I'll be happy.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ryan G had this problem as well and i don't believe he had 2 step antilag or high egt problems... Bad Design??

The EGT's wouldn't help though...

I thought Ryan's was due to the crap welding from the XS Power manifold going through his turbo?

Hello From Scotland :)

Just waiting for plane Home

Anyway mine went due to welds falling apart from crap xspower manifold

But would bet big money yours is down to the 1000+ egt's

This is why Antilag and 2step can kill turbos as the egts created to make the exhaust energy for spinning up the turbo quicker will just kill the exhaust turbine

Will chat up with thread later when i get back to oxford

And as for "DBB's handling it", the DBB part is the core bearing technology, the rest of the turbo is exactly the same. So let us nail that particular myth here shall we :)

-Ian

I was working my way down through the posts and was going to post exactly this - beat me to it! :D

Who the hell suggested a DBB turbo could outlast a journal/SBB turbo under antilag and 2 step conditions??

Guest Nicholas
Lets pray that's not the case :) or I'll have another thread in 6 months with the insides of my new turbo on display.

fingers crossed for you mate, go T51 KAI :D

Blimey Jay was not exspecting yours to look like mine. Looks like something has Been through yours aswell.

Mind you I came into a problem with a phr kit a month

ago when the wastegate jammed open. A Nice piece of weld popped out when I pumped the valve open to un jam. Had to look again to make sure it was not a xsflower one

Ryan

Just going by the fact that they seem fail a lot yes, IMO though. :)

It's not a 4088 from eBay....

The that has failed a few times is the GT4088, usually in Truck spec.

The GT4088R Jevansio has is a completely different kettle of fish, it's a proper road car/petrol turbo.

I'll lay money on that turbo being totally fine when treated properly...Anti-lag is ONLY for rally cars and race cars who change their turbos every other run.