The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Halfrauds (do they think were thick).

hodge

I bought a battery for my soop last year and it hasnt been holding a charge very well.

It seems to go flat really quickly if the engine isnt running but have the ignition on. I know for certain its the battery cos everything else is new.

I returned it to Halfrauds and aksed for an exchange, and then it started.

"i'll have to test it" he said, which was fair enough. He found he couldnt get a reading from the meter which he was testing it on so then told me he would have to keep the battery overnight and charge it and check it them.

"How often do you use the car" he asked. I told him it was just used at weekends or with nice weather. Her said "ah thats your problem there if you dont use it vety much you have to keep the battery on charge all the time so it doesnt lose its change".

He also told me that the alternator doesnt start charging the battery for 20 min after starting and running the car. HA HA HA. "are you mad I asked him".

"On both points its a maintanence free battery so why would I need to keep it on charge all the time and an alternator starts charging as soon as the engine fires up"

Think I stumped him with that (not rocket science really).

Then he thought for a second and hit me with a blinder "I know about batteries, ive done a course you know".

Realising I wasw gona get nowhere with this Idiot, I promptly lest my number and asked him to phone me tomorrow after he's charged it. Ha ha ha what a guy and good old halfrauds.

He also told me that the alternator doesnt start charging the battery for 20 min after starting and running the car. HA HA HA. "are you mad I asked him".

Thats true

Another case of not knowing your stuff before having a go.

The charge depleted from starting a car takes at least 10minutes to replenish with normal driving

Thats true

Another case of not knowing your stuff before having a go.

The charge depleted from starting a car takes at least 10minutes to replenish with normal driving

Never heard that one before.

My battery was dead the other day cos i haven't started the car in a fortnight. I started it using my battery charger but accidentaly turned it off after only 2 mins of running.

Fired right up off the key without the charger being near it. Oh, and it was as flat as a pancake. When i tried to start it it made a scary clicking noise to let me know there wasn't any charge left.

Scott =op

i am on my 3rd this year:( as i very rarely drive it and never get the time to take it out it ends up dead flat and never holds its charge after that:rolleyes:

I would check your earthing points mate.

I have had the same battery now since i bought my car 2 years ago (so the battery is more than 2 years old) and never had an issue and i only use it at weekends.

Mind you i always clean up the major earthing points in the engine bay every 6 months or so then put some Vasaline over them (little bit mind)

i have a charger for mine, it is hard wired onto the battery, it is designed to be left on 24 hours a day, for as many days/weeks/months as you like, will not overcharge/damage the battery.

My dad has one of those for his bikes, as he can only ever ride one at a time :) Never had a problem with it either!