The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tyres????

Guest Painter

Guest Painter

Can anyone recommend which tyres to go for??

I was going to go for the P Zero's but found out they are summer tyres and not suitable for winter use and as I live near Oldham, it's virtually winter all year round up here :)

What are the michelin pilots like??

Thanks

Dunlop Sp's are gr8, im no maniac tho!

Me neither but the backemd used to come out occasionally with the old Continentals on there. Ok they were down to about 2mm of tread but these new Dunlops leave the back end planted in the wet....;)

TBH I can't tell any difference between tyres in the dry but there must be some difference??

H.

Someone recommended them to me before actually as I'm Needing two new rears. What are these like price wise?

Depends on the size obviously!

I paid £102.00 + VAT for 255/35/18's for the back of my NA.

Got a price for the fronts last week of £83.00 + VAT. They are 235/40/18....great tyre!!

H.

Pirelli p zero rosso are good for grip i had them on previously and they were good. gonna try toyo t1rs as ive been in cars with them on in the past (supras) and they hold really well too

I have Potenza on my RX7 when there cold they absolutly shit once you've got a bit of heat into them it's a different story.

TBH, I don't push my car until the engine's warm, and hopefully soon after that the tyres are warm. I've not noticed any issues in the wet or when the tyres are potentially cold. I am comparing them to Kuhmo Supras and "Sportivas" though!

PZero Rosso all round here. Just bought some new ones for the front last week.

(£360 inc full geo check/adjustment :()

They're good in the wet, better than the Michelin Pilot Sport one I had before.

Porsche fit them to the current Carrera as stock, and there's no way they fit a 'summer only' tyre. I believe they know a bit about handling too ;)

No contest? Have you tried lots of different ones then?

Yes thanks, goodyears, toyos, michelin, pirelli, khumo... more too but can't remember off-hand, would have to check my receipts. I rate goodyear above everything else on UK roads in wet conditions. They aren't too bad in the dry either :) And I enjoyed them on the Nurburgring.

No contest? Have you tried lots of different ones then?

It's a good point Jake. So many people here recommend parts (whatever they are) on the basis that 'they bought them and them didn't destroy the car'. Not getting at Gaz here BTW! I'd just would like to see recommendations backed up with some proven experience of different manfs/parts before people swear by their recommendation.

Hell, I fitted an XS Power manifold to my car, it works and has continued to do so but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Not sure what my point is here :confused:

Yes thanks, goodyears, toyos, michelin, pirelli, khumo... more too but can't remember off-hand, would have to check my receipts. I rate goodyear above everything else on UK roads in wet conditions. They aren't too bad in the dry either And I enjoyed them on the Nurburgring.

Blimey mate, you've been through a lot of tyres in two years !

(or have you been a Supra owner a lot longer than you've been on here?)

It's a good point Jake. So many people here recommend parts (whatever they are) on the basis that 'they bought them and them didn't destroy the car'. Not getting at Gaz here BTW! I'd just would like to see recommendations backed up with some proven experience of different manfs/parts before people swear by their recommendation.

Hell, I fitted an XS Power manifold to my car, it works and has continued to do so but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

I see what you're saying but I wasn't having a dig. It was a genuine question.

Not sure what my point is here :confused:
LOL - I do that all the time. :)

Blimey mate, you've been through a lot of tyres in two years !

(or have you been a Supra owner a lot longer than you've been on here?)

Nope had Supras for 2 years mate.

Driven a few other marques though ;) and rubber is an important point, but not one that is exclusive to one particular car. Maybe not 100% Supra specific but my experiences none-the-less. And for the record i've tried Goodyear, Pirelli and Dunlop (forgot about those!) on Supras.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't Goodyear discontinued the F1 GS-D3's?

I would like to point out that I've got F1s all round on mine, which I bought earlier in the year, and I've noticed that the front outside edges are already wearing out.

I only do short mileage, mainly around town etc, and I always keep the tyres properly inflated. I've been told that roundabouts are the nemesis of tyres anyway.

They are excellent in all conditions for me though.

I'm now cycling to work, so that will reduce the wear & tear and fuel costs etc, which is nice. :)