The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Puncture repair on tyre

Chris and Alana

I was changing the diff fluid yesterday and I noticed I had a nail in one of the rear tyres. I took the wheel off and removed the nail. The tyre never went down but I put some soapy water on the hole and bubbles started to slowly appear :( I took the tyre down to a local tyre place and they repaired the puncture with a rubber plug, (I thought it would be some sort of patch on the inside of the tyre). Anyway I was wanting to know if having a nice little rubber plug in my tyre will affect it in anyway. . . Will it be dangerous at all to do silly leptons or corner hard? Cheers.

I would love to just replace the tyre but I dont have the money at the mo being close to christmas etc :( I think I would have to change both rears at the same time aswell and at over £160 a corner my wallet decided to grow legs and run away. ( the repair was only £12). but I figured I normally take it easy in the winter with the bad weather and roads and I might replace all 4 tyres in the spring/summer when the weather gets constantly better (if there is such a time). I was just wondering if a repair like that is ok on such high powered cars and maybe the odd bit of fun if there are any dry roads ahead :)

The problem with all these things is that it's such a subjective thing.

I would look at it something like this:

Chances of a blow-out driving to the shops and back 2%

Chances of a blow-out at normal motorway speeds 5%

Chances of a blow-out at 110 mph 10%

Chances of a blow-out at 150mph 25%

So really the question is how much are you willing to gamble. At what %age chance of having a blow out would you decide "nah, I'll get the tyre changed"?

If they were worn and needed changed soon I would have definatley just changed them but they are probably just about half worn which is a bummer :( and yes I do take it easy in the winter, most the time I drive like an old lady just to be safe :) infact even in the summer Im very carefull (just the odd bit of fun)

I see your point with the percentage thing but will the tyre blow out if things go wrong? I would have thought it would just slowley deflate with it just being a small round hole (nail size)

If you're hooning it, the loads that go through the tyres is immense. Would it blow out, I don't know. I wouldn't like to find out though.

Look at what happens to an F1 tyre when they have a puncture. Some times it just goes down... sometimes they end up in the tyre wall.

Yeah, I get the point. I may see if I can scrape some sort of deal for 4 tyres and get them all changed while I'm there. If I cant I may change the 2 rear's soon. What tyres do you guy's have at the mo? are they good in the wet? I dont want to start another tyre thread it's just I have Eagle F1's at the mo and from what I'v read you cant get them anymore (well at the minute anyway) :(

Just to add another factor into the conversation, I discovered the hard way that the supra is very stable when a rear tyre blows out (in a straight line) and was so subtle at first I thought it was a rough road surface.

But I'd still be very nervous of a repair to one of the rear tyres.

I doubt you will be doing speeds over the winter to seriously run a high risk of blowing out. Then again never say never... I'd hate to be responsible.... :)

I've got Toyo T1R's there good but very soft and dont last long-Less than 8k last time without doughnuts in the dry, just a few in the wet :D

I used to run them till one blew out for no apparant reason at 70mph. :(