The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Perhaps the Supra can race after all...

Gazboy

Just been watching the PRO-MIL GT CUP on MotorsTV and by looking at some of the cars racing the Supra may well be eligible to compete as there doesn't appear to be an age limit. Seems to be for racers on a budget by the looks of it. Only thing I do know is power is capped at 300rwhp per ton.

This may well be cheaper than Time Attack, which I've been told by a few competitors is getting horrendously expensive.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooh yes, very interesting...

Marc Haynes, of Haynes International Motor Museum, has launched a new GT Cup race series in collaboration with Motor Sport Vision Racing (MSVR). The PRO-MIL GT CUP is specifically aimed at GTC cars as front-runners, and the introductory race is due to be held at Snetterton from November 3-4.

Still in the early stages, the exact regulations are to be refined over the winter, but each weekend will consist of a 30 minute practice on the Saturday, followed by 15 minutes of qualifying. The Sunday race will be a 30 minute double-header format, which allows either single or double driver entries.

The top class will see the likes of the Ferrari 360, Marcos Mantis and Porsche GT3, while Class Two is expected to attract worthy competitors such as the Porsche 993 RS and Ferrari F355 – which should make for some very real competition between both classes.

Interest has been sufficient to ensure at least a 20-strong grid for November's opening race, which will be broadcast on Motors TV over the weekend.

Taken from http://www.octane-magazine.com/news.php?seenews=298

Still haven't received a mail regarding rules for the GT-Cup but just found the rule book for European Endurance Racing (ie that Britcar stuff that was on Top Gear)- it's effing expensive:

£400 registration fee.

£3200 entry fee

£1000 (plus vat) Fuel Deposit.

Still reading on to see if a 3.0TT that went out of production in 2002 is still eligable.

Please don't say thats per race?

That's for a ten round, eleven race championship.

It appears a Supra is eligable BUT it has to retain the stock turbochargers and if my maths is correct (I'm shit at math) a Supra would be in class 2 with GT3 Porsches.

Rules here:

http://www.eerc.co.uk/cms/e107_plugins/wrap/regsdocs/2008_Britcar_Regulations_as_at_191007.pdf

The highlights for people who don't want to register:

You can strip the car to it's knickers, but must retain the dashboard & console, and retain the drivers door trim.

You cannot widen the track or add width to bodywork, so no veilside over fenders or TS & TRD kits (unless it's a genuine TRD car).

Maximim wheel width is 11'', diameter is free.

Brakes are free.

Max 120 litre fuel tanks, FIA approved.

40mm ground clearance

105dba noise limit.

Rear wing free

Tyres supplied

Fuel supplied.

Interesring..........I think we should make up a club car, we must have every trade here to work on the car and throw a few sponsored parts at it, nominate a driver, maybe by a knock out process.......

All powered by an internet owners forum.......:eyebrows:

If we all stuck a tenner in that would cover the fee's......

Interesting stuff!

You also have to have a 46mm restrictor on the air intake pipes - I seen this on the Modena Aston Martin at Silverstone a few months ago...

Gaz.

I think that's "success balast".

Fine, chuck a 46mm restrictor between my airbox and my turbos, won't make a blind bit of difference though :D

Seriously they can alter your success in five or six different ways.

Ah I see.

Its not a huge amount of money when you think Time Attack probably costs a few quid also - however the cost of transporting cars and attending races is going to vastly increase that!

Gaz.

I'd have thought staff wages would be the single biggest cost as I assume you'd struggle to get people to give up 10 long weekends for free.

Weight formula is complicated:

WEIGHTS/ BHP

32.1 The cars will be classified using the following formula : W + 90 = V

-----

C

When :-

W = Vehicle weight excluding fuel & driver

90 = Average Drivers Weight

C = Coefficient

V = Vehicles Break Horse Power measured at the wheels

I would be tempted by less power but more weight reduction in the areas that matter. That 105 dba is that a drive by or static ?

I assume static. The Nimbys are killing motorsport.

I too would be going for as light as affordably possible but I think it will be a struggle keeping the power within the regulations and the engine would be virtually stock.

Stock turbos, they can stick that :(

I know what you mean mate, but what if weight was taken out of the block ie lightened and balanced crank, lightweight pistons, conrods etc.

Then a little head work, longer duration cams and rebuild the stock turbos with stronger components. Steel shaft, thrust bearing etc.

Not cheap and still not sure that you would keep up with the Porsches mind.

I've just been reading the Britcar forum on Pistonheads, there's a lot of red tape & politics involved and a big song and dance is being made around this ridiculous datalogging verification (especially for CDa).

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/gassing/forum.asp?h=0&f=147

I hope my contact gets back to me soon regarding the GT-Cup as it can't be any more convoluted and hamstrung by controversial rules.