The mkiv Supra Owners Club

question about 6 speed facelift NA's

Guest mk47

Got a few qs about the 6 speed facelift NAs..

The gearboxes are they all V161? or are some V160 on these? Said one is from a 1995 car..

What ones better? Is the v161 as good as the v160? i.e. can take same amount of power & upgrades i.e. single etc

Is the diff, prop shaft etc (everything involved with transmission) the same or equivalent to a tt 6? Or is it a mix and match of NA parts & TT on the facelift nas?

Hope they make sense ;)

All 96> cars had the V161. All they did on the 160 - 161 variant was sort out the 3rd gear synchro and change the ratios slightly. Will still take pretty much anything you throw at it like the 160. Prop and stuff is all the same, but the 161 has a slighly elongated shifter.

something must be different as the NA is not geared the same.

6th gear and 7000rpm on a SZ-R is not in the +180mph region the TT is.

Hmm thats what i thought, i thought it would be down to the diff? although jezz just said the diff in tt and szr na are the same..

or is it just that the NA engine cant handle that kinda power :D