The mkiv Supra Owners Club

advice and opinions please

Guest S.Pharmacist

Guest S.Pharmacist

hey people,

i recently bought a TT and i think it is the best think ive ever sat in!! anyway my addiction has sort of rubbed off on my mate and now he's in pursuit of one but he wants to know the difference between the TT and the single turbo, is it really that much quicker? what about the maintainance? i cant tell him because i havent even been in a single turbo so i was hoping you guys could help him.

thanks

Totally different driving experiances, when the single comes on boost all hell breaks loose and

you either love it or s*it yourself :D especially if the roads are damp :no:

Couldn't tell you about maintenance as i've got the 'spend spend Supra bug' at the moment :rlol:

Guest S.Pharmacist
when the single comes on boost all hell breaks loose and

you either love it or s*it yourself :D

i thought all hell broke loose in the twin turbo? :-S

so tell me how its different?

On a single you haven't got the 1st tubby coming in nice and gently it's just i single hit, i suppose if you have upgraded twins it would feel different again, somebody on here will be able to tell you?

Think this way if you are getting 300 bhp with twins the power is delivered from 3k by 1st tubby the 2nd comes in to finish the delivery off :)

With a single delivering 450 bhp it hits at 4k all in one go :)

Does that sound right?

Don't know how else to put it in words.

Does anybody else want to explain there thoughts better :rlol:

Gazza, I never found my single like that at all. Granted, it was quite sudden in 1st and 2nd, but power built very smoothly in 3rd to 6th. For exmaple, in 4th positive boost was available from around 2k rpm and built smoothly to a maximum 1.4 bar at around 3600rpm, after which power delivery smoothly increased. It was far, far easier to drive than stock. Peak torque was at 4400rpm, so again nice and low in the rev range

Maybe the NA-T conversion combined with the small turbo produced a punchy but short range power delivery, but in almost every 2JZ-GTE single I've driven it's been very smooth in anything above 2nd gear on a 6spd.

I have had a stock TT Auto GZ, aerotop auto TT GZ BPU and now a single manual.

I find the power delivery of the single more linear, plus with it not coming on full boost until 3500 or so, you can opt to stay well clear of boost on damp days etc. The TTs do generate positive boost very early on and can catch you out if you're not ready. My stock TT would catch me out regularly in the wet, great fun if you're in the mood but not so much fun if you're not in the mood !

As for maintenance costs, a WELL BUILT single is perfectly reliable and actually a far more simple system than the TT. Reliability really shouldn't be an issue, BUT it must be done properly, and that isn't cheap.

Oh, fuel costs - well power comes from fuel, more power = more fuel, quite simple really. When having fun in my car, you can almost watch the needle move on the fuel tank :D

Go out in a single, they really are awesome. I find that people I've taken for a spin do one of two things, get the giggles or say F**K ME loudly :D

does anybody know anyone who has owned both or driven both?

You do realise that the supra was only available in either NA form or TT don't you? From your posts it's not clear. It's not so much the case these days as more single'd supra's are around, but I'd say most single turbo owners will have upgraded from the stock twins themselves so will have had experience of both. As for just how much faster a single turbo supra is, well it depends on how big a turbo you fit!

I've had stock TT, then BPU (hybrids) TT, and now a single. The single is definitely the one to go for, so long as you can find one that's been done properly.

When I went from stock TT to BPU, the power difference felt phenominal. It was like driving a completely different car. But now I've got a single, I can safely say the difference between BPU and single is even bigger than the difference between stock and BPU. It's quite incredible.

From a maintenance point of view, the engine will be under more strain, as you are ultimately getting a lot more horses. On the other hand, the single turbo setup is more simple from the perspective of turbo plumbing, so there is potentially less that can go wrong.

It also depends which single turbo is fitted, smaller turbos such as the T61, GT35R etc. give similar low down response to a BPU TT, but the power mid to high rpms there is no comparison, the single has a huge amount more power all the way to the rev limiter.

With a bigger single turbo you loose some of the low down response, but when the turbo starts to make positive boost, then as said all hell breaks loose.

My car has gone from stock, to BPU, to single GT35R over the 7 or so years I've owned it.