The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wheels and weight question ...

MaRkYbOy72

I have always maintained a MKIV on stock 16 inch rims and decent tyres is the nicest of the bunch. PROPER seventeen inch rims will have a small degradation on ride and handling. IMPROPER seventeen inch rims and tyres will see a big fall in handling and ride. Eighteen inch rims can work "OK", but nineteen inch rims and tyres are plain nasty without major supporting mods, IMO.

I've been wondering this myself. If you put on larger wheels, you get lower profile tyres, so the rolling radius should be unaffected, shouldn't it? I guess this results in less damping through the rubber, but is that what causes poorer handling with larger wheels?

Or is it because bigger wheels weigh more? But if the wheels did weigh more, wouldn't that actually lower the CoG of the car and result in better handling?

Sorry... Just curious.

There's nothing at all wrong with the 16 inch rims unless you want to run UK or other bigger brakes. Tyres are cheaper in 16 inch, so you can afford to buy decent rubber for it ;) If I had another MKIV and was keeping the J-Spec brakes I'd definitely run the stock rims in 16 inch. I don't like very low profile tyres on most road cars.

I've just read that other stuff Chris. Good stuff, thanks.

However, I've already got a second of 18s coming from Japan, as I don't like the looks of the stock wheels. I might fit some stronger roll bars (?) as I presume this might help compensate for the lack of camber control on the lower profile tyres.

Other than that, fingers crossed my handling wont be much worse. I'm loving how the car handles at the moment.