The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Former ATR Owner is coming to the darkside! ;-)

saboteur

Hi all,

My poor 2002 ATR was written off a few months ago by a drunken driver. I am now moving to the darkside and getting a supra TT.

The one I should be getting is my brothers. An 1993 Supra TT Auto, only 33K on the clock, imported via newera and maintained by whifbitz! ;)

I would prefer a manual, but.... :(

It's fairly stock atm... has an Exhaust, boost guages and plently of ICE fitted...

Now I have alot to learn about the supra. I am told that the stock auto box can take 500 - 600bhp tune without any problems. Is that the right threshold?

I find the general handling of our stock'ish supra is rather poor compared to the Accord Type-R I used to own. Is there anyway of significantly improving this?

The autobox will probs be safe maxed out at 500bhp. BPU supras are amazing and faster than most cars you find out in the road.

Handling wise either some bilstein shocks & eibach springs or tein superstreets are the ticket :) Teins are more expensive but height and dampening adjustable too.

most members will tell you the auto box is good for 450-500bhp, and anything over this will require big £££££, the most commen upgrade for auto and manual owners is to go BPU which will give you around the 400fwhp mark, as for suspension and handling most people review the supra as having very good handling ( unless your doing 80mph+ in the wet round a bend) what you need to consider is that the supra is a 10 year + old car now and compared to most new cars it may not be pure luxury but upgrades for suspension are resonabley cheap to buy

Thanks guys for the replies.

Yes I will be getting Paul to do a BPU on the car, stage 3 will take it to around 430bhp correct? Perhaps a 100 shot of nitrous could be perfect to reach that big 5??? :p

Supra is rather old... but the handling is quite scary at times, esp in the wet. Obv thats to do with the car being RWD... but I'd love to get the traction better for track days... :)

Supra is rather old... but the handling is quite scary at times, esp in the wet.

its very very VERY easy to lose control of the back end in the wet and running 400+ just makes things worse, i run 412 fwhp and you only need to blip the throttle and the back end is out, and round island or bends you have to be very carefull, ( not trying to put you off BPU, but just take it easy.)

True, and with a darn auto, it'll make things even more uncontrollable....

Alot of people who have not driven an auto supra think that, but if you actually own one you learn your limits and how to drive the car and in what conditions you got to remember you drive the car and not the other way round :D

Yes I will be getting Paul to do a BPU on the car, stage 3 will take it to around 430bhp correct? Perhaps a 100 shot of nitrous could be perfect to reach that big 5??? :p

Supra is rather old... but the handling is quite scary at times, esp in the wet. Obv thats to do with the car being RWD... but I'd love to get the traction better for track days... :)

I think what paul calls stage 3 is the full BPU package and the quoted 430fwhp is spot on. Nitrous is not recommended as you're pushing the limits 1.2 bar (full bpu), there's virtually no one here that uses NO2 on the TT's. Hybrid turbo's are the next upgrade, but are very expensive to get much more power than BPU as new injectors and ECU are needed to take advantage of the slighly higher flow.

To get to 500bhp you'll need a single (or twin) turbo conversion, budgets for these begin at £7k.

Regarding the handling, now is not the time of year to be testing out the limits. Being a high powered RWD car they have an oversteer tendancy so is at polar oposites in terms of how t drivbes to a light(ish) low powered FWD car. In the dry it'll run rings around the Type R ( know because I've done it :D ), the lateral grip is on the Supra is superb. You just need a lot of expereince and be a little brave to get the most out of them. Just as an example there's a superb video on here of one of our members in a 1.0bar BPU manual keeping up with a Porsche GT3 around the Berford GT curcuit.

I think what paul calls stage 3 is the full BPU package and the quoted 430fwhp is spot on. Nitrous is not recommended as you're pushing the limits 1.2 bar (full bpu), there's virtually no one here that uses NO2 on the TT's. Hybrid turbo's are the next upgrade, but are very expensive to get much more power than BPU as new injectors and ECU are needed to take advantage of the slighly higher flow.

To get to 500bhp you'll need a single (or twin) turbo conversion, budgets for these begin at £7k.

I couldn't justify spending that much money 50 - 70bhp, it'd be better to get a manual conversion I think?? Or even another manual supra?? :D

Funnily enough though, that'd be the sort of figure you'd have to spend to increase the power of an ATR by that amount!

I couldn't justify spending that much money 50 - 70bhp, it'd be better to get a manual conversion I think?? Or even another manual supra?? :D

Funnily enough though, that'd be the sort of figure you'd have to spend to increase the power of an ATR by that amount!

I meant that you'd need a single/twin conversion to get above 500bhp. However, once done it will get you a LOT more than 500bhp and completely transform the way the car drives.

Mine was mildly tuned and put out 545bhp, this was almost too much for the road (i.e wheelspin at 100mph). Most here run between 550 and 600bhp on their singles, beleive me any more is just madness for road use.

Get to BPU first though, the difference from stock is huge, it really transforms the car.

Yes definately. Thanks homar... To keep it my daily driver, I think it'd be sensible to keep it below 500bhp! :)

When it does become a second car, then can think about tuning it more.

What about a manual conversion? Its very expensive right? 2-3K? But if one were to get a written off supra, it could be less?

Other very important thing I think are changing those JDM brakes. Saw in this months banzai that an affordable upgrade can be done with an evo 8s brembo's and minor mods?

its very very VERY easy to lose control of the back end in the wet and running 400+ just makes things worse, i run 412 fwhp and you only need to blip the throttle and the back end is out, and round island or bends you have to be very carefull

Alot of people who have not driven an auto supra think that, but if you actually own one you learn your limits and how to drive the car and in what conditions you got to remember you drive the car and not the other way round :D

:yeahthat:

Did it today. Wet road, same corner I go round everyday, put foot maybe a tad to much on accelerator and ended up fishtailing towards the center reservation. Lucky for me I cought it before I crashed into it.

Then went home and changed my knickers :blink:

An Auto BPU soop is a very good option make sure you have UK brake upgrade IMO as i found that the J-specs were ok but didn't stand up to the abuse of a well sort BPU car.

BTW i'm going for around 550-600 and i'm having to spend 6K to do that safety on top of the 6-7k i have already spent :blink:

Good luck :)

Sorry for being thick whats a ATF?

When it does become a second car, then can think about tuning it more.

What about a manual conversion? Its very expensive right? 2-3K? But if one were to get a written off supra, it could be less?

Other very important thing I think are changing those JDM brakes. Saw in this months banzai that an affordable upgrade can be done with an evo 8s brembo's and minor mods?

The manual conversion is £3k, but the hardest part is finding the kit to do it. You might get lucky (a few have) but there are not many about.

Don't beleive anything you read in the magazines, most of it is garbage. I guess that article was from Supradibbs car who did the Evo brake conversion. Personally I think this was a very bad idea as the brakes are not designed to be used on a heavy RWHP car and no information was supplied to confirm they actually had more braking power than the stock options for the Supra. The larger Supra brakes are a good upgrade, but to be honest I found the smaller ones fine on my for road use. A good pad choice is the key to getting the most out of them.

OMG, can I just say that this doesn't look stunning, it is truly a thing of beauty!!!

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=127545

Now I'm not one for bodykits and the like, but I REALLY want mine to look like that! That is the best bodykit I have ever seen... It makes me feel the same as when I look at an exotic supercar... If that were my supra, I'd sell my limbs, parents and children before I'd even entertain the thought of parting with that...! :drool:

You mean ATR mate? Thats Accord Type-R, best n/a 4 door car in the world! :p

Erm, no, it's a piece of shit round a track. Not bad for a very low powered FWD 4 door, but handles like a sack of crap compared to almost every half arsed sports car out there. As mentioned in previous posts you need to adjust your driving style when swapping to a high torque RWD motor, especially one like the supra which has 150 extra kg on board.

OMG, can I just say that this doesn't look stunning, it is truly a thing of beauty!!!

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=127545

Now I'm not one for bodykits and the like, but I REALLY want mine to look like that! That is the best bodykit I have ever seen... It makes me feel the same as when I look at an exotic supercar... If that were my supra, I'd sell my limbs, parents and children before I'd even entertain the thought of parting with that...! :drool:

Wayneys car is VERY nice indeed. It's very much a one off but keep in mind it has less than ideal spec wheel and suspension setup to fill those wide arches. You can't have both the looks and the handling performance ;)

Noooooooo Mr.Homer, you're destroying my dreams!! :p

Seriously though, this may sound a lil extreme but I can't stop looking at that supra... Imagining the presence that car would have on the road... Beautiful, gorgeous, stunning... The thing I like the most is that it's VERY tasteful. I cannot envision anyone NOT liking the look of that supra...

Erm, no, it's a piece of shit round a track. Not bad for a very low powered FWD 4 door, but handles like a sack of crap compared to almost every half arsed sports car out there.

Huh!? Have you actually driven one? It handles ALOT better then the supra does, in the dry and the wet. It's much more stable at higher speeds, and is one of the highest powered FWD saloons, not the lowest! :(

Huh!? Have you actually driven one? It handles ALOT better then the supra does, in the dry and the wet. It's much more stable at higher speeds, and is one of the highest powered FWD saloons, not the lowest! :(

Yeah, I've driven 3, one was around the Bedford GT race tack. I stand by my comments, in the dry a Supra would run rings around it in ANY situation. No question at all.

You need some driving lessons if you find your Accord is a quicker car around the corners. Seriously.

Edit - just to add, I'm talking about Supra's that have properly set up suspension here (not bolt on generic Jap stuff) and don't run clown sized wheels/offsets...

The thing you might not have grasped yet is that it's VERY easy to get the most out of your Type R, thats what they're designed for - an easy and safe drive which has 'safe' handling. High power RWD cars are another matter, you need to control them, more than they control you. They oversteer and need a delicate throttle and brake input. It's 90% driver on these cars rather than the 10% driver input you're used too. It's your driving style thats the problem here. Step into MD exotica and it's a similar experience (even more so).

Huh!? Have you actually driven one? It handles ALOT better then the supra does, in the dry and the wet. It's much more stable at higher speeds, and is one of the highest powered FWD saloons, not the lowest!

Lol, you have to think of it this way, what is the worst possible thing that can happen drivin a fwd car...let alone a low powered one....understeer into a chicane?;)

As homer has already says, you can take the atr to its limits very easily in comparison to the Supra, which coincidently leads to death:sly:

Seriously though make a mistake while driving it in anger and your fookd