The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which rods

tooquicktostop

I have just taken delivery of a brand new Toyota bottom end, I was going to put uprated rods and bolts in, Mark at Phoenix uses Eagle most of the time but he has heard that Polter?? (SP) are very good and also at a good price from US right now, what are your thoughts ??

Apparantly JUN ones are excellent... I had a convo with Chris W on this some time ago and he highly rates them :)

I have looked at the price of the JUN and Cosworth rods and they are by far the most expensive, are they really that much better than Eagle or are you paying for the name ?

Mark has given me the option of course and as usual this created more debate, I think the most I can hope for power wise is 650BHP at the fly (maybe a bit more with the NOS on occasion) so do I need the JUN/Cosworth, if the answer is 'yes if you want the best' then I will move to the Wanted section :D

my engine feels radically different to a stock 2jz in that it revs like a much smaller engine. Aside new bearings and bolts the only real difference is the eagle rods which make the engine feel much more athletic. I think the weight consideration should be high up the shopping list...

Carrillos are the best rods hands down but they do come with a price tag.

Eagles are good rods and a good bit cheaper.

If you have the money, Carrillo's for sure, if your weighing the cost more so, stick with the eagles.

Yep, cost has to be a factor as I said I was going to stop this modding lark two years ago :D

As I am not looking to run a gazillion HP I think the Eagles are the best compromise

I'm surprised by that JUN website. It says the material is an EN19 equivalent, which in general terms ain't all that. I wouldn' be surprised if the stockers weren't made of the same stuff. Also, I assume by "shaving" these are machined from solid billet, which would make them weaker than a forger stocker of the same form.

Maybe the strength comes from additional material around the big end, but this is going to kill it mass-wise.

I'm surpirsed that they aren't made of something north of EN24 to get the mass down.