The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rattles and squeaks?

Chiefgroover

I had tail gate rubbers that were worn that caused a rattle, this looked an easy fix but was a nightmare to get the old ones off

The tools in the boot also made an annoying rattle, as did the spare wheel when the nut became loose that holds it down

The Issota steering wheel boss rubs as well and creaks from time to time, apart from that not too bad as build quality goes, the list would have been very much longer if I had listed my R32 GTR

I've got a squeaking from:

* The boot - someone said prob boot rubbers but i had a look in the boot and not sure what bits are the boot rubbers? there is a thick black rubber thing around the whole boot....or 2 door stop looking black things either side of the boot opening. (cant see how either of them can cause a squeak tho??)

and

* The drivers door card......not sure if the installer that put my new speakers in left a nut or something at the bottom of the door but if you tap it, or go over a bumpy road, you can hear a "boing" kinda noise.........

Gotta sort both out somehow as its slightly irritating..........

I've got a squeaking from:

* The boot - someone said prob boot rubbers but i had a look in the boot and not sure what bits are the boot rubbers? there is a thick black rubber thing around the whole boot....or 2 door stop looking black things either side of the boot opening. (cant see how either of them can cause a squeak tho??)

and

* The drivers door card......not sure if the installer that put my new speakers in left a nut or something at the bottom of the door but if you tap it, or go over a bumpy road, you can hear a "boing" kinda noise.........

Gotta sort both out somehow as its slightly irritating..........

It is the door stop looking things that wear and need changing, there are 2 lower and 2 upper, its the lower that had failed on mine, Mr T was not smart in the screw locations and also the fact they seemed to also be glued in place, Like i said before it was a bugger to get them out, and be very careful not to round the screw heads, I did :p

It is the door stop looking things that wear and need changing, there are 2 lower and 2 upper, its the lower that had failed on mine, Mr T was not smart in the screw locations and also the fact they seemed to also be glued in place, Like i said before it was a bugger to get them out, and be very careful not to round the screw heads, I did :p

ok cheers mate - where are the top ones located?

is there a way of knowing which ones needs replacing?

Strip the interior to the metal, put in a Stack dash, and a pair of Recaro seats, and stop being a cheapskate

Anyway in an attempt to actually be useful :D I'm driven slightly mad be squeaks and rattles. I have tried trimming the entire hatchback back board edge with rubber trim strip, putting foam pads under all the polystyrene boot linings, making sure everything is secure, and replaced the boot rubbers. Still sounds like an orchestral bedspring back there so I'm going to, at some point ™, strip the boot completely and then add one thing back in at a time until I know what it is.

Up front I have a dash squeak newly manifested, the road angel mounting can need a poke now and again, and sometimes I get jiffles from the sunvisors stictioning to the headlining (might be a facelift thing? Quite a few interior things got changed). I tried putting small sticky foam pads on the headlining to cure that and it did about an 80% job. Oh and the glovebox can sometimes wig out but an open-shut fixes that. Probably because of the heavy fire extinguisher I've got in there.

-Ian

Still sounds like an orchestral bedspring back there so I'm going to, at some point ™, strip the boot completely and then add one thing back in at a time until I know what it is.

mate i have stripped nearly everything out of my boot - all the polystyrene, spare wheels and bolts, all tool kit etc to leave just the carpet and my sub & amp....and it still does it....but now i'm thinking maybe these boot rubber things maybe the cause... :)

They get worse this time of year. I think things contract in the cold.... a bit like testicles. (although they don't squeak or rattle)

Speak for yourself Pete.....;)

I have rattles in the drivers door. Yet to find out exactly what it is but it's fooking annoying!!:(

H.

[+] Dash panel around the stereo squeaks, rubbing against another panel - due to a cable to the parrot display displacing it.

[+] Weird squeak tonight from the passenger side after changing the wing at the weekend - turned out to be the ice scraper in the glove compartment.

[+] Rattle from under the drivers seat - fished out 50 Yen and a very old dry soy packet.

[+] Boot rubbers - rattle gone after replacing upper and lower

[+] Odd rattle from the bonnet area - turned out to be the plastic fan cover tapping against stuff, solved with some black silicone squirted into place

[+] Rattle from the drivers side door - this is because I left coins in the handle and one or two worked their way in behind the door card. Can't be bothered to sort it, as it's not very noticeable

Oh yeah - the heat shield near the first cat started to rattle against the adjoining one - solved by careful application of one of the Yen coins I found between the two plates, as it appeared to be way too much work to remove the heat shields with the car on the ground.