The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Specific info about injector 'O' rings

flukey-lukey

I'm after a full set of 'O' rings for some 550cc stock UK injectors that I have. I was speaking to the storeman at work the other day and unknown to me the guys that fix the locomotives use these all the time and we have a wide selection of different sizes and thicknesses! He said I can have whatever I like, but I'm unsure on which size/thickness they should be.

I took the injectors and the fuel rail to work and tried a couple on for size, but I'd like to know the specific sizes so that he can order me them straight from our supplier if possible.

So can anyone shead any light on this for me? Our supplier is Pirtek if anyone knows of or uses them

thanks

I seem to remember CW having a close shave with a Supra whose owner skimped on injector O rings - nearly set his garage (and himself) on fire!

Yeah Luke you REALLY dont want to mess with them, you may as well just get the OEM ones from Toyota - ill get you the part numbers when you collect the carpet dye!

Ok guys point taken :D

I wasn't really skimping with these, its just that the storeman said Pirtek who supplies them builds race cars so he would ask them to send the right ones that I need.

I'll go to Toyota though :)

You can use Nitrile, Hydrogenated Nitril, Fluorocarbon FKM, Hiflour FKM, Perfluoroelastomer FFKM and Fluorosilicone FVMQ o-rings with fuel no problems.

Avoid Hydrogenated Nitrile HNBR, Neoprene. Styrene-Butadiene SBR, Polyacrylate ACM, Butyl IIR, Butadiene BE, Isoprene IR, NAtural rubber, ypalon CSM and Silicone MQ/VMQ and PVMQ.

Most automotive o-rings are nitile, which are fine. However quite often you'll get Butyl which will be no good.

Hope that helps. :)

You can use Nitrile, Hydrogenated Nitril, Fluorocarbon FKM, Hiflour FKM, Perfluoroelastomer FFKM and Fluorosilicone FVMQ o-rings with fuel no problems.

Avoid Hydrogenated Nitrile HNBR, Neoprene. Styrene-Butadiene SBR, Polyacrylate ACM, Butyl IIR, Butadiene BE, Isoprene IR, NAtural rubber, ypalon CSM and Silicone MQ/VMQ and PVMQ.

Most automotive o-rings are nitile, which are fine. However quite often you'll get Butyl which will be no good.

Hope that helps. :)

Or the CW version. As with "finding" mushrooms, unless you KNOW EXACTLY what you have found, and are 100% sure of your facts, buy them at Tescos...

An O ring looks much like any other O ring, unless it's colour coded, and then it may for aesthetics. Some black O rings are fine in fuel, some melt, how lucky do you feel with an unknown ring?

An O ring looks much like any other O ring, unless it's colour coded, and then it may for aesthetics. Some black O rings are fine in fuel, some melt, how lucky do you feel with an unknown ring?

Very true. I wouldn't go picking one out of a box that your mate has got or anything like that. If you've got stock injectors get stock o'rings. You can't go wrong that way.

If not then go to a decent hose and seal supplier and ask for nitrile o'rings. Tell them it's for fuel and you definitely don't want Butyl ones.