The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Brand new facelift lights steaming up - what would cause?

Pete

I wasn't happy to find out that one of my brand spanking new facelift lights had moisture on the inside of the lens the other morning.

Leaving a bulb out meant it soon cleared up, but what would cause this to happen?

Should it be acceptable for this to happen on a new light?

This happened to me after GZAerojon had my lights for painting recently. I'm sure its only where a little bit of moisture gets in to the light when the bulbs are put in.

After taking a bulb fitment out on a dry day, it went and has never come back.

I don't think you'll have a problem again, well until you put a new bulb in maybe :)

EDIT: He also showed me the 'state' that new lights are delivered in. Toyota etc don't package them well at all, and they are so liable to breaking in transit. Amazingly bad packaging actually!

I don't think you'll have a problem again, well until you put a new bulb in maybe :)

I should perhaps mention, it's happened twice now. Once on a nice sunny day after a wash, the other from the cold mornings.

I could perhaps understand if I'd separated them and maybe the seal hadn't been good all the way around, but they're brand spanking.

The biggest PITA will be that the inner lens will no doubt discolour quite quickly if it reoccurs often.

I'll whip the headlight off at the weekend and check they're all properly inserted. Thanks chaps. Silicon bags was a thought - but as usual with these things went you want one, you can't find one.

I expect there will be a few around on Christmas morning.

I had this a while ago, and had a theory about why this happens.

Having taken the lights off the car to clean up the surface indoors (without splitting any seals), they fogged up when I put them back on. This could be because they aclimatised to the moisture levels of the house.

Popped out the bulbs for a few dry nights with the bonnet open and hey presto, the condensation never came back.

Guest gzaerojon

sometimes the bulb o rings pinch as the bulbs are fitted, it's always worth smearing a tiny amount of vasaline on the o rings before they are fitted to help them slip in. You can also do this for the fog light caps and sidelight stalks (pre facelift only)

sometimes the bulb o rings pinch as the bulbs are fitted, it's always worth smearing a tiny amount of vasaline on the o rings before they are fitted to help them slip in. You can also do this for the fog light caps and sidelight stalks (pre facelift only)

Now there's a thought. :thumbs:

Dry them out with a hair dryer down an empty bulb hole, then refit the bulb. Check everything is seated properly. Should fix it.

They were fine after 24 hours naturally drying. I didn't want to go down the hair drier route in these temperatures as it may have compounded the problem?

They look all fine and clear again so no marks inside (thankfully). Off to buy a tub of Vaseline now from the local xxx shop.