The mkiv Supra Owners Club

After some help!! AGAIN (Traders please look as well)

DodgyRog

When I bought my car I had an RAC inspection done,( long story shortened )They damaged the side skirt with the trolley jack. They said they would fix it.

Had an estimate done to replace said skirt at the best body shop in the area.

This is the HELP bit................

I was under the impression my skirts where OEM Toyota parts, but Marsh Toyota have sent them over and they are slightly different ( in the words of Carrs "The ones that have been sent are more subtle than the ones on the car") can anybody I.D them for me and point me in the direction of a supplier.

When I said to the RAC they might have to cough up for both to be replaced they started wriggerling a bit !

Pics in my garage

Cheers DodgyRog

Dont take this for gospel, but yours do a little bit more, whats the word, same shape as OEM, but the way it dips in then out again looks more abrupt then OEM.

I would guess yours might be a copy skirt taken from an OEM and due to it being copied it could have changed shape slightly from the original.........

But they are OEM in style, are they fibreglass or polyurethane or what ever it is...?

Yeh the best way to tell is in the material they are made out of, compare the ones from toyota to the one youve just took off and 99% sure if the materials are different the ones you have are copies.

I think whifbitz do some oem style ones.

these are a bitch to fit btw. ebay ones are better

I am taking it that the one that was sent by Toyota would have been an OEM part so I might have to convince the RAC to pay to replace both.

Anybody know how I stand as the RAC have already indicated that the quote has been done so it is upto the garage to sort out, I have not gone down that road with them yet

:)Looks like I might get a good result:)

Spoke to the person handling the claim at the RAC today and they have asked for a new quote for both skirts to be done and they have agreed pending the quote to do both.

I have checked that they got the first one from Toyota and they confirmed it, so assuming Toyota would only supply OEM skirts, then I will be getting OEM skirts to replace my copies thanks to a careless mechanic:eyebrows:

Cheers DodgyRog
/vbb/images/smilies/bbcode_cool.gif

personally i didnt think toyota would supply the skirts as i was told by them some time ago that there is no chance of getting them at all....?

on the other hand i cant see them sending out copies, very strange.

yours do look a good fit though and saying that i sold my oem replicas to Gareth on here and they was a very good fit too. prety much exact copies. you can alway tell as oem ones will be more flexible and they look black plasic inside, copies are usually fibregass, are more rigid and have a matting look inside, also check where the air vent is as even good copies wont have the clips around the vent area of the skirt. hope it helps

andy

It does seem to be a bit weird, because I asked the guy at Carrs to look at my skirts today and he said that they are not fibreglass, they are a resin compound.

Does anybody know if Toyota made any variations of their skirts, because even the guy are Carrs thinks they are an excellent fit for copies and said he would expect them to be fibreglass as it makes them cheaper to make.

cheers rog i do like the stillen too,anyway i mean the air vent at the rear where i have marked,there on the underside(not visible) most copies wll not have the push type fittings in these areas,if you take one off you would know instantly as you would be able to see the female type socket in the body. a pitty about that as they do seem to fit nice on ya motor. i know how it feels i reversed down a hole in mablethorpe and it cracked my drivers side one..repaired it and got me a spare set now:thumbs:

vbpgimage.jpg