The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hi - the one to go for?

Guest Toady

Hi everyone, new to this site...so thought i'd jump in with a hello, and a simple question of 'which is the best model to go for?':)

I used to have a tvr cerbera, and was contemplating getting back into tvr ownership, but not sure I can really justify actually doing it right now. So am looking at a new toy! Its going to be my everyday car, and i like to do the odd trackday too. I know one thing, and thats that i wont be geting an auto. Is the vvti the one to have? My budget will be around 16k, could probably stretch a bit more for the right car. I dont know whether a supra is what ill end up with, as currently thinging also of R33 gtr, e46 m3, or even possibly a T350.

Ive owned plenty of quick cars before so am not that easily impressed anymore unfortunately, but i guess thats just the nature of the beast! Ive had a coupld of gti-r's too, so know what the jap stuff is like. I currently own a VW golf 25th anniversary which has been tuned to over 200bhp (which is on pistonheads if anyone is interested:innocent:) which is my daily atm, but being a diesel it doesnt do it for me (except for in the wallet situation!) hence looking around. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.....obviously I know it may be a little biased on here! lol!:D cheers!

i guess your looking at a Jspec 6 speed TT bpu then or even a single turbo. There are a few for sale on here at the moment that look very good cars.

The VVti are harder to come by and harder to get big power. So you tend to see less single turbo conversions on them. Ive only seen a couple

Personly ive got a uk spec TT BPU, Thats about 390bhp.

But most uks are auto and hard to find, very dificult to find a manual on the uk spec. More of these about than a vvti single turbo but not many!

Id guess 85% of people have an import. 6 speeds are a lot easier to find and you can have one imported fresh if you like.

The auto is very good. ive had a 5 speed NA and a UK auto TT and i thaught i wouldnt like the auto and would get it swapped for a 6 speed. ive now changed my mind and i love the Auto.

Do some reading on the supras auto box its not your average auto and can be quite fun :)

Im sure other people will add more info for you :)

Why dont you want an auto?

not really a fan of auto boxes to be honest, dont really feel they are a real drivers car if you know wat i mean? I have however heard that the supra auto is quite good. I wont dismiss it, but would prefere a manual.

So a vvti is not definately the one to go for if i was searching for big hp then? Im not bothered about it being a uk car or not. My first gti-r was a uk sunny, and the 2nd one an import. The uk car was in much better condition mechanically (well...prior to me giving the import a full forged engine rebuild) but underneath was very dirty as had seen many uk winters compared to the spotless import. Do the supra imports rust like the pulsars if they've been in the uk a while without being undersealed?

If was doing it all again at this point in time, it would be an R34. I have seen R34's for just over your budget.....so stretch!!

really? ive not seen any yet that are under the 25k mark, and that is a lot over my budget. I would indeed love an r34 gtr, but really dont think ive seen any around that are close to my budget.

With the budget I do have tho I could get a very nice R33 or supra.:rolleyes:

really? ive not seen any yet that are under the 25k mark, and that is a lot over my budget. I would indeed love an r34 gtr, but really dont think ive seen any around that are close to my budget.

With the budget I do have tho I could get a very nice R33 or supra.:rolleyes:

dont be silly and buy a R34!, get a single turbo 6 speed supra ;)

Welcome BTW

Go with a Supra. A sexy, curvy car is better than a boxy Nissan! ;)

Welcome to the club! Wish I'd had your budget when I bought my Supra!

cheers, Im still undecided what to go for but i do like the supras and the build quality does look better imo. Im selling both my kit car and daily car, hence the nice budget, it will get me a very nice supra or r33, but not quite enough for a nice T350, R34 or Noble!:eyebrows: So im going to get a ride out in both the supra and R33 and go from there!:D

cheers, Im still undecided what to go for but i do like the supras and the build quality does look better imo. Im selling both my kit car and daily car, hence the nice budget, it will get me a very nice supra or r33, but not quite enough for a nice T350, R34 or Noble!:eyebrows: So im going to get a ride out in both the supra and R33 and go from there!:D

I'd see if you can blag a ride in a single turbo Supra, there should be someone on the forum near you who will oblige, I think that'll make your mind up for you.

personaly id go for this with your budget. he might even take a part x?

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=120566

On the other side... you have to considder this...

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=127545

Its not a single turbo but its still 400bhp. And one of the best cars arround. I wont give away his price. but its within your budget. Personaly if you ask me he could up it 5k and it would still sell.

Kopites car is indeed very nice and ive already PM'd him this week about it, but unfortunately ive not released my budget yet, and he has someone coming to see it on sunday! I dont think it'll stay around for long!

As for whiffbitz's cars for sale, i like the 2nd and 7th one best. My favourite colour is deffo the gunmetal grey, and Id like to get one as new as possible. I dont really like all the big body kits and huge wheels some have. The one Wayney was selling as directed me to earlier is a very nice looking car thats blatently had thousands thrown at it, and looks great, but not my cup of tea.

A trip out in someones single turbo would be great if anyone is around Oxfordshire way?;)