The mkiv Supra Owners Club

little confused about suspension.

Carl_S

I hear there are springs, and then there are the suspension struts.

instead of replacing the whole thing all around the car, can I just go for springs. Maybe firmer springs?

Im on standard shocks and springs. On the rear there is a rubber insert that gives ride height and stops bottoming out.

My mechanic advised TEIN suspension all round, but this would be about 1 grand all fitted. seems very steep.

help please.

In newbieness.

Carl

Unless you're doing track days I just don't see the point of going for expensive aftermarket setups. Either replace the springs with an intermediate setup like the the Eibach springs, or get a custom setup from someone like Chris Wilson. It all depends on budget.

If you have a couple of hundred to spend then the replacement springs are a good option (so long as you have good condition Bilstein shocks already). If you're going to spend £800+ on a replacement set you may as well get something setup specific to your needs like the ones Chris Wilson supplies and configures. The generic jap shock/spring replacements are just a waste of money IMO.

Thats interesting homer, thanks.

so I can only add new springs if I have good condition bilstein shocks? I have standard jspec shocks so new springs are not an option?

Why do you feel generic jap shock/ spring replacements are a waste of money?

Thanks Homer,

Carl

Hi mate. I used to have KYB Gas Ajust dampers (£200 set) and Eibach springs and IMHO, the combination was not too good. If you're spending £200 to get someone to fit them, then all the cost of geometry etc, I'd recommend doing it right and getting new Bilsteins and either stock J-spec or Eibach springs fitted, possibly looking at other components (top mounts etc) so you only pay the labour once.

FWIW, I also tried the J-spec springs with Bilsteins and thought it rode too high, so had the Eibachs put onto the Bilsteins and think it's a good compromise for comfort, ride height and road holding etc

Edit: you can get new Bilsteins for less than £400 a set

J

oo thanks chris. so i should not just put eibach pro springs (for example) on stock 55k mile old j-spec suspension?

From reading Chris's post (and he's forgotten more about suspension than most other people will ever hope to know), I'd say not. The dampers will be aging and past their best and combining them with harder springs will not provide an 'optimised' set-up.