The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bomex Bumper - Spray it on or off

Ady

Alright lads

just got my bomex front bumper and had a trial fit on the car on sat - looks good (will post some snaps up later tonight).

What my debate is - do i spray it on or off the car?

If I spray it off, then it dose flex and needs some slight pressure to push the both ends in while its fixed properly - I will be mega peed off having it sprayed and cracked it or ruined it after trying to fit it.

Other option is to fix to car, and get it sprayed whilst its on. Only prob is doing the mesh after - all mesh will be removed for spraying.

What would you do?

Cheers

Ady

spray it off the car for the best finish I would have thought

Thats what i thaught - but its the first time ive personally fitted a bumper - and dont want to put to much pressure on the sides whilst fitting it and crack the paint - or even damage it trying to get it fixed :(

Personally id do it off the car mate. As you say putting the mesh on wont be easy. If you do it on the car just make sure the bonnet etc is covered well.

Its not me whosedoing the spray - a professional sprayer is doing it - hes just abit unshure about how to tackle it as the bumper flexes a hell of alot

even when you pick it up it twists - wont this crack the new paint?

Its not me whosedoing the spray - a professional sprayer is doing it - hes just abit unshure about how to tackle it as the bumper flexes a hell of alot

even when you pick it up it twists - wont this crack the new paint?

have you tried picking up a standard bumper? it pretty much folds in on its self! the paint wont crack. it will only crack if you crach the fibreglass. test fit it first and get all your holes drilled. then take it to the body shop to get painted. and if i were going to do it. i would put it on the car and take it back a week later to the body shop to get it polished (the bumper will be more ridged for the polishing this way when fixed to the car)

have you tried picking up a standard bumper? it pretty much folds in on its self! the paint wont crack. it will only crack if you crach the fibreglass. test fit it first and get all your holes drilled. then take it to the body shop to get painted. and if i were going to do it. i would put it on the car and take it back a week later to the body shop to get it polished (the bumper will be more ridged for the polishing this way when fixed to the car)

Yes i have lol - i just sold a standard bumper - im shure i could have rolled it into a ball if i tried :)

ok cheers for the advice mate. will pass it on to the sprayer - see what he says.