The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Crazy boost at BPU

mikeyb10supra

Just fitted my 1st de-cat and restrictor ring and im hitting some crazy boost...I hit 1.35bar yesterday but dont know if to put this down to the cold weather, although the car flew I dont fancy this peak boost everytime I go out, what does everyone recommend?

I can either fit a smaller RR say 1bar and buy a boost controller to raise it or wait it out and not boost it until this weather warms up and re-test it to see if it holds steady at 1.2? Would the FMIC have any effect on boost levels in this freezing weather?

Anyone else get this in the colder tempratures

Mikey

yep in cold weather the car will boost more. i remember my mates supra hes just sold but that had a fmic but we had pretty much same spec (BPU) 1 was auto 1 manual but his was way way faster (i still have stock smic)

Mine has just started boosting to max 1.4 bar, with one cat still on, I've but the nur spec baffle in for now to reduce it to 0.9. I dont have the restrictor ring in yet as the first cat seemed to do the job in the summer. Not now, give it some beans and it over boosts.

I which case its the very cold dense air we have at the mo :) might re-test mine when it warms up a bit...if it does, or drive like an old man all winter

Although 1.3 bar was fun

im just back from a drive and i found that my car was boosting over 1.4bar but couldnt understand why. Im running standard turbos and the boost controller is set to 0.95. I would like to know if it is the cold aswel?

It will certainly effect it

Just fitted my 1st de-cat and restrictor ring and im hitting some crazy boost...I hit 1.35bar yesterday but dont know if to put this down to the cold weather, although the car flew I dont fancy this peak boost everytime I go out, what does everyone recommend?

I can either fit a smaller RR say 1bar and buy a boost controller to raise it or wait it out and not boost it until this weather warms up and re-test it to see if it holds steady at 1.2? Would the FMIC have any effect on boost levels in this freezing weather?

Anyone else get this in the colder tempratures

Mikey

Got the 1st de-cat fitted in the end then, i'm assuming you've done your FCD + fuel pump too dude?

I don't think 1.35bar's a good idea though! As they say anything more than 1.2 on the J- Spec tubbies's a waste.:)

Got the 1st de-cat fitted in the end then, i'm assuming you've done your FCD + fuel pump too dude?

I don't think 1.35bar's a good idea though! As they say anything more than 1.2 on the J- Spec tubbies's a waste.:)

Yeah got it in ok along with the FCD and was testing it with Tom yesterday as I had the day off.....got the walbro ready to go in but was put off by the joining of wires as some posts on here were saying not to use certain joiners etc as they can dissolve in fuel etc so will did around a bit more...any ideas, most say heat shrink and solder, neither of which I have?? Got my wideband gauge arriving hopefully monday as well so that will go in as well, then get the top speed limit thing off and should be good to roll in the summer!! might be a fairer race between us now and I will also take it up the strip next supra pod day ;)

been on a spending spree lately which hasn't gone down well with the other half!!

Will be getting the wheels powder coated soon as well. I figured I would get it all done this winter and not piss about and do bits and bobs like the last two years where I have promised myself it would be finished by the end of the winter months and never has been

I think that's what blew mine, I upped the boost to 1.2bar but think it must've flown past that. I know previously it's boosted higher when cold, I'd drop to a 1bar ring and up the boost when you want to, otherwise you'll always be hitting at least 1.2 bar when you floor it, not great for the turbo's as I've had the misfortune to find out.

Safest way is to have a 1 bar ring and use a boost controller to up the boost (remember a boost controller can't lower boost)

What fuel cut defender are you using ?

Its a Greddy BCC, which I was aware could have the voltage capped to still cut at certain preasure levels so it still retains the fuel cut but just occurs at higher pressure readings....I still need to have a play with it but might take a look at the instructions on mkiv.com as there are instructions to set output voltage to 4.3

Safest way is to have a 1 bar ring and use a boost controller to up the boost (remember a boost controller can't lower boost)

Absolutely agree Col. I had a 1 bar RR fitted Iirc with a Blitz SBC-II Boost Controller which was the perfect combo, plus you can easily adjust the set/gain settings to get the boost you need and put a warning limit on the majority of them.

Go for a 1bar RR now for the winter months if I were you. I don't think I ever pushed mine above 0.8-0.9 in the winter, that's not to say I'm a softy, I just knew better. ;)