PDA

View Full Version : Conversion of an TT Aerotop from auto to manual



supratt69
15-10-03, 21:50
this might seem like a stupid question but i have seen roofs cut and shifted down inches on minis and other cars so:

Is it thoeretically possible to transplant roofs!! I know it sounds like a very stupid idea, but if you had enough money and time would it be possible?

Or would it be more efficient and less problems to transfer the gear boxes?

I only say this as i really want an aero but love the 6spd box. the only 6 spd aero u can get is the american version which are , of course left hand drive and a bit scarey when it comes to over taking.

your thoughts please!!

dude
15-10-03, 22:04
I think the g.box may well be the easier route ;) , its easy enough to do , finding all the parts is the difficult bit :thumbs:

Dude:flame Dev

michael
15-10-03, 22:09
Anything is possible with the right amount of skill and money but the project doesn't just involve the roof, you'll also have to budget for the substantial chassis mods Toyota added to the aerotops to help prevent flex.

Jake
15-10-03, 23:22
Originally posted by mcanny
.....the substantial chassis mods Toyota added to the aerotops to help prevent flex.

and failed :eek: :p

dude
15-10-03, 23:25
Originally posted by Jake
and failed :eek: :p

Note to oneself , undo Jakes bonnet scoop nuts so as it ejects at 90mph :D :)

Dude:flame Dev

Supragal
15-10-03, 23:34
Never seen one done yet- anyone? Have you driven an auto mate? Even I admit that they're nice.... and I'm stubborn!!! (Only auto supes though, not autos in general.....) And they're less expensive :(

Scooter
15-10-03, 23:39
I would think a viable route (if there is such a thing for this sort of project) would be to buy a NA aerotop for around 7-8K and a 6 speed TT for around 9-11K.

then strip the auto NA and do the necessary transmission tunnel mod's that i think i've heard are necessary (get it resprayed) and then transfer all the TT internals across and then sell the spare TT chassis and auto NA bits.

If you had a manual TT already, and could do alot of the general mechanics yourself, i reckon you could end up with a Royal sapphire pearl, 6 speed TT aerotop for a net outlay of approx 12K, or standard base colour with no leather for sub 10K.

8K - NA aero
5K - Towards adj to aero chassis and transfers of TT to aero shell (assumes alot of DIY)
3K respray + cream leather retrimmed seats
with maybe 4K of bits left to sell.

This is all just pure speculation and could be miles out. I have no idea about the issues of if, for example, the NA wiring is adequate for all the TT functions or any of the numerous other problems of which i'm ignorant. It just seems to me that if you have both types of car then your parts problems are sorted it is 'only' a matter then of swapping the relevant bits.


BTW I think all of you auto to manual conversion wannabe's are mad, but would love to see one made.

Thorin
15-10-03, 23:43
Or buy a US Supra and swap the dash and steering wheel over :innocent:

dude
15-10-03, 23:49
Or buy a Aero TT and a manual TT hardtop and swap em over , out of interest what would a RHD Aero Manual be worth , Paul ive got an idea !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude:flame Dev

Roy
16-10-03, 00:11
priceless ? ...:)

Aerotop Dave
16-10-03, 19:12
It would be unique, so in theory you could charge what you like!


You're knackered either way really. Convertiing an Aerotop to manual is gonna cost 5000+ (I asked JIC once - they said they stopped investigating once the price got to 5000, so it's at least that), and taking the roof off a hard top is gonna balls up the rigidity. Although I think Scooter's plan does look pretty well thought out - good starting point at any rate :thumbs:

I'm just wondering about the US manual Aerotop though.... *ponders*... what would you need for that? Assuming the body shell/chassis is the same for both LHD and RHD cars, that means the pedal box could be fairly easily swapped over (as it's the same body/chassis for both markets and was designed to have it on either side). After that, all you need is a RHD dash...?

I wonder if simply convering a LHD car would actually be easier. Dunno about cheaper, as you've got to ship the car over here obviously, but the only labour would be moving the pedal box and the dash...? Parts cost would be just the price of a RHD dashboard!

michael
16-10-03, 19:31
Originally posted by 200SX Boy
I'm just wondering about the US manual Aerotop though.... *ponders*... what would you need for that?


If the prices are anything like they were when I was over there in 2001 the cost of the car itself might be an issue - they seemed pretty expensive.

OK I've just checked and they are cheaper than they were (obviously) but $30,000 to $45,000 seems to be the norm.

Autotrader US - Supra Search (http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/results.jtmpl?model=SUPRA&start_year=1994&end_year=2004&min_price=&max_price=&distance=any&advanced=y&advcd_on=n&make=TOYOTA&address=90210&search_type=used&x=26&y=7)

I'm liking this one (http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/vdetail.jtmpl?car_id=138486679&dealer_id=&car_year=1994&make=TOYOTA&distance=any&max_price=&model=SUPRA&advcd_on=n&end_year=2004&min_price=&first_record=1&address=90210&search_type=used&advanced=n&start_year=1994&=&color=&cardist=1604).

Bah you've got me thinking back about my cancelled move to California now.... would have been nice to have a Supra over there :(

Soonto"HAS"soop
16-10-03, 19:35
As the Europeans had LHD versions of the soop, did they not have any 6 speed aeros over there?? Or is it just a yank thang??

Ben..

dude
16-10-03, 21:14
Originally posted by 200SX Boy
It would be unique, so in theory you could charge what you like!


You're knackered either way really. Convertiing an Aerotop to manual is gonna cost 5000+ (I asked JIC once - they said they stopped investigating once the price got to 5000, so it's at least that), and taking the roof off a hard top is gonna balls up the rigidity. Although I think Scooter's plan does look pretty well thought out - good starting point at any rate :thumbs:

I'm just wondering about the US manual Aerotop though.... *ponders*... what would you need for that? Assuming the body shell/chassis is the same for both LHD and RHD cars, that means the pedal box could be fairly easily swapped over (as it's the same body/chassis for both markets and was designed to have it on either side). After that, all you need is a RHD dash...?

I wonder if simply convering a LHD car would actually be easier. Dunno about cheaper, as you've got to ship the car over here obviously, but the only labour would be moving the pedal box and the dash...? Parts cost would be just the price of a RHD dashboard!

5000 eh , well tell you what you drop me down a TT Aerotop and i'll pop in a manual box and diff etc for 4000, hurry before i change my mind , but i'll need the car for 3-4 days :thumbs:

Dude:flame Dev

Aerotop Dave
16-10-03, 21:35
According to JIC all the Euro cars were Aerotops. Surely that can't be right...?

Supragal
16-10-03, 21:41
Originally posted by dude
5000 eh , well tell you what you drop me down a TT Aerotop and i'll pop in a manual box and diff etc for 4000, hurry before i change my mind , but i'll need the car for 3-4 days :thumbs:

Dude:flame Dev

God damn it!!!! How has no-one snapped this up?!?!?! ;)

MONKEYmark
16-10-03, 22:00
is it worth all the trouble? and expense

seems like most american cars are aerotops. there is a guy on supraforums with a hardtop and he likes it because its different.

not really paid much attention to aerotops i like the smooth lines of the hard top

but a 6 speed aerotop in rhd sounds good. just dont understand what all the fuss is over? people like to be different.

i would love a fiat 126 bis with supra engine and auto gearbox for drag racing. would be propper mad. and would be fun beating 10 second cars :) but then i am a bit mad or so people keep saying

Gordon F
16-10-03, 22:05
I thought it had already been done. Did Toyota not build a UK 6-speed aerotop demonstrator when the MK4's were launched?

dude
16-10-03, 22:05
Mad , i dont know how they can say that Monkey , i dont see what all the Manual fuss is about , but the offer stands .
Dude:flame Dev

Gaz Walker
16-10-03, 23:04
Originally posted by dude
Mad , i dont know how they can say that Monkey , i dont see what all the Manual fuss is about , but the offer stands .
Dude:flame Dev

Inc all the parts?

Gaz

dude
16-10-03, 23:06
Originally posted by Gaz Walker
Inc all the parts?

Gaz

YUP :thumbs:

Dude:flame Dev

Willson
16-10-03, 23:48
Go on ! It's about time someone had the car that we have all been speaking about for ages.....
The fabled, legendary, non existant......RHD TT Manual Aerotop !
4K sounds like a bargain !

Scooter
16-10-03, 23:55
Gaz.........you know recently................that bargain sup.............well..............did you?..................you did!....................then maybe you should:flame Dev

Thorin
16-10-03, 23:55
Originally posted by dude
YUP :thumbs:

Dude:flame Dev

Dude, do you realise just what is involved in this conversion? It's not just sticking a getrag box in and adding a clutch pedal.

Dragonball
16-10-03, 23:59
Originally posted by Thorin
Dude, do you realise just what is involved in this conversion? It's not just sticking a getrag box in and adding a clutch pedal.

Let alone the sticky backed plastic and washing up bottle!

Please list it Thorin - before I let him do something that he'll regret

:p

Gaz Walker
17-10-03, 00:14
Originally posted by Scooter
Gaz.........you know recently................that bargain sup.............well..............did you?..................you did!....................then maybe you should:flame Dev

Dunno what your talking about mate ;)

Project Aerotop 2 starts soon :D

Gaz

PS I've talked to Dude ;)

TLicense
17-10-03, 14:27
4000 eh?
Well it would be possible to do it on 4 grand but you would have an equivalent of a stock 6 speed.
I'm uprating individual parts as I'm going along (ie uprated clutch/flywheel/ecu/revcounter etc etc.) and so far I'm budgeting on about 8500
All the Toyota parts alone are about 1000 or so.Then you've got your gearbox, propshaft and master/slave cylinders which are about 800 2nd hand. If you want the 6 speed diff that's gonna set you back another 500 plus the left hand drive shaft. 6 speed ecu 300. Then your gonna pay about 1500 or so for labour.

So what's that? 4100?

Not a bad price to pay for a bog std 6 speed aero TT. However like I said, if you then want to go about uprating any of those parts that's when the real price starts to come in.

Once I've finished doing my conversion I'll do a write up and include the costs and part no's of all the parts that I've bought.
Unfortunately (well not for me 'cause I'm a rubbish mechanic) I'm getting JPS to do the work, as they've done a couple of conversion's before. If you're really interested in doing this you could give them a call, you might be surprised!!

Regards

Paul Laing
17-10-03, 16:57
Yeah you could cut off the roof and put in a Aerotop one, A guy called Martin who used to work at PPS in Seaham did this to a golf. Took alot of time and effort though. But it can be done! ;)

Would look great ok a UK 6 speed, now that would be different! Though i'd be shitting it incase it came apart at 170mph!!!

then you'd have a convertible :eek:

Now theres a idea......convertible supra! lol :p

far
17-10-03, 17:33
why didnt supra just build a bloddy 6 speed aerotop for the uk market - theres obviously a decent market,shot thereselves in the foot IMO

Jive
17-10-03, 17:36
Originally posted by Paul Laing
Now theres a idea......convertible supra! lol :p

I'm sure I've seen a picture of a convertable Supra. It's silver and looks bloody lovely. God knows where the picture is though :(

Jive
17-10-03, 17:53
Found 'em on me computer at home :)

Rear shot, yes I know it says Lexus :eek:
http://www.mwhite.dsl.pipex.com/ImgMisc/supra01.jpg

Side on shot :cool:

http://www.mwhite.dsl.pipex.com/ImgMisc/supra02.jpg

Interior, hmmm v nice :)

http://www.mwhite.dsl.pipex.com/ImgMisc/supra03.jpg

Timwildman
17-10-03, 17:59
oh oh i want one where can i buy it

Terminator
17-10-03, 18:26
I would want to see some real evidence of major chassis reinforcing before I would go anywhere in one of those. OK as show paperweight but not as a serious road car.:flame Dev

Jive
17-10-03, 19:37
Originally posted by Terminator
I would want to see some real evidence of major chassis reinforcing before I would go anywhere in one of those.

I'd be saying the same thing about a SMART car as well :D

Timwildman
17-10-03, 19:40
Originally posted by Jive
I'd be saying the same thing about a SMART car as well :D

At least they've got a turbo:D

dude
18-10-03, 00:40
Originally posted by Thorin
Dude, do you realise just what is involved in this conversion? It's not just sticking a getrag box in and adding a clutch pedal.

You dont say :stupid: and theres me thinking it would only take a morning , sorry Gaz i cant manage it as i was only gonna do the box and clutch pedal :eek:

Dude:flame Dev

Gaz Walker
18-10-03, 00:51
Originally posted by dude
You dont say :stupid: and theres me thinking it would only take a morning , sorry Gaz i cant manage it as i was only gonna do the box and clutch pedal :eek:

Dude:flame Dev

Thorin I know dude has been sniffing that paint for too many years but he aint that daft ;)

Gaz.

Bobbeh
18-10-03, 01:04
F'kin ricers :twak:

Thorin
18-10-03, 02:19
Originally posted by Gaz Walker
Thorin I know dude has been sniffing that paint for too many years but he aint that daft ;)

Gaz.

Thats not what I've heard :innocent: ;)

dude
18-10-03, 10:18
Originally posted by Thorin
Thats not what I've heard :innocent: ;)

;) :D :cool: :sly:

Dude:flame Dev