The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Staying with SMIC - But gotin Alloy Rad

Ady

Ive been debating about this for some time now - weather or not a FMIC would be better than a SMIC. for the following

1) Preformance Gains

2) Looks

As I cant seem to be satisfied that there are sufficient gains to be made by a FMIC, I have decided on the following:

Stick with the SMIC - and

1) Custom set of hard pipes - Polished steel with blue cuplers

2) Custom dimond cut vents in side wing (driver side only) to help duct the SMIC. I did these on my saxo some time back - This is what im talking about - Im toying with also doing the bonet, like I did before - Same design and size.

The driver side wing already has a scratch on it - and is going in for re-spraying anyway - so going to get the vents cut and meshed while its there.

3) Im going to go for a race alloy rad, for looks and to help with the cooling.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Haste-93-98-Toyota-Supra-JZA80-Manual-Aluminum-Radiator_W0QQitemZ230190534970QQihZ013QQcategoryZ72205QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Something like that.

This was i will get the looks from the rad behind the mesh on my new bumper.

Dose anyone know what the stock SMIC is capable of handeling - BHP wise?

Cheers

Dose anyone know what the stock SMIC is capable of handeling - BHP wise?

Enough. Certainly small singles.

A nice new FMIC will be better than a knackered 12 year old SMIC... but you'll see no difference with a new SMIC versus new FMIC. FMIC's look nicer, SMIC are actually properly ducted.

I can't view ebay at work but notice from the link it's a Haste radiator, I don't know of anyone that's fitted one personally, no doubt it's cheap but I'd probably stick to a more tried and tested rad. Fluidyne or Power Enterprises for example.

the haste ones looks very well made. For the price i would say its worth a shot.

As for the ducts in the wing, no, Toyota made the ducts into the airbox for a reason, and should be kept, along with the stock airbox. Also, just a question, why would putting holes in the wings duct the SMIC? its behind the bumper?

Ive got the stock airbox, properly ducted miamiGT SMIC at BPU level and ive had zero problem as yet :)

the haste ones looks very well made. For the price i would say its worth a shot.

As for the ducts in the wing, no, Toyota made the ducts into the airbox for a reason, and should be kept, along with the stock airbox. Also, just a question, why would putting holes in the wings duct the SMIC? its behind the bumper?

Ive got the stock airbox, properly ducted miamiGT SMIC at BPU level and ive had zero problem as yet :)

Thats what i was thinking about the rad. If no one has tryed and tested it then I cant see how they can pass comments.

Toyota also made alot of things for a reason lol - but still dosent stop people from modifying them :)

Im putting the vents there to purely increase the air flow arround that area. Will also help the Induction Kit too.