The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New Member from North Essex

Stevie72

Hello to all.

Bought 93 UK TT last weekend and within 12 hours broker down ahhhhhhh! 2nd Hand Intercooler fitted and apparently the garage i bought it from says it's ok now. Will find out when i collect it Friday Night!

Anyway looking forward to driving the awesome machine this weekend and just to say hi to one and all.

Ps Used to own a MR2 N/A 1993 version and the supra is a beast compared to that!!:eyebrows:

I was driving down A12 and floored it, power just went from 4,000 rpm and downwards from there.

I could then only get up to 30mph and the garage i brought it from said it had gone into Limp Mode to protect the engine.

Took the garage best part of 3 days to find out the problem and said it was the inter cooler was cracked. It was also spitting tons of black smoke!!!

Having said that, putting the auto into Neutral and it sounded fine and revved all the way to the redline and thr turbos sounded fantastic?

Just pray it was just a minor glitch and the realibility will be there like my old MR2:(

I used the term Garage loosely.

The place i brought it from suggested a Garage they use to repair ect.

They will not be charging me for the 2nd hand intercooler, so really am at liberty to accept what they say provided it works? To be honest the place i bought it from was one of these places where there is a high turnover of cars and its a gentlemans agreement to take the car as is. Obviously because i had trouble within the first 12 hours, i took it back and they said they would sort it.

I thought they would have just sent me packing?

5,995 for a 93 Turbo Auto UK seemed OK to me although it does only have a basic service history and 123k on the clock.

Just hope it ain't a dogs dinner!!

To be honest the place i bought it from seemed ok to me.

Got a pretty good feel and they sold fairly decent cars ranging from £16k for a Subaru down to my Audi A3 i traded in!!

The lights on the right hand side also appear to be a bit dodgey as the Traction control light was working and then when i had problems it didn't???? I just thought it will now work, now they have sorted out the intercooler?

I know from reading the literature on here that the lights on right hand of dashboard are prone to malfunction?

PS The service hisroty is poor - it was last stamped in 1998 when it had done 98k and then there are MOT slips from 98 - 2006 in which it has done only 30k odd. Seems a little strange, but one owner i believe was a fanatic had it garaged and only did 1,000 odd a year.

The garage also had it on their books for 3 months odd and think they wanted rid. I thought 7,000 - 8,000k would be more realistic WITH FSH. But bearing in mind the poor history the price was alot lower. The price got the better of me!!!

For 200 miles it was fine, everything working, no smoke ect and then bang it just conked out - surely if it was a dogs dinner it would have hardly made it up the road and the assurance i thought i had was it is a Toyota and therefore bullet proof!

It's a UK August 1993 TT

I have seen mostly import TT for around 5-7k and UK ones for 8-11k for 1995 onwards but are hardly ever for sale.

I think it was priced to sell, bearing in mind its scarce history.

I will get pictures eventually and will post. But it has no mods just the usual vent on bonnet and 17inch standard alloys ect. Paint work is pretty good and it had just had 400 on alloy refurb and tyres ect.

PS no banging noise, just power went and would only allow me to do 1,000 rpm and 30mph - was driving fine for 1st 200 miles. In fact in neutral on auto box it sounded fine.

It would make sense if the ECU shut the engine down to protect it and the guy said that they allow you to trundle along to get home ect without revving to high and damagin it even more. Also i was low on fuel and he said it could have picked up lots of crap and was chucking that out. Also i checked the Oil and there werent any in it (barely)!!

123k, UK Spec, and sub 6k don't compute, it was either a bargain or..............

See if your near any of the traders here, get them to give it the once over.

I bought my UK TT for 6250 a year ago with sub 100k miles on it ;)

Touch wood, nothing major (read "expensive") has gone wrong with it in that time.

As for the right hand warning lights, mine are a bit intermittant. If you hit them, they sometimes start working again :D

And my service history ran out in about 2002 I think.

Thanks Juanchan

The other thing i noticed was the security red light was not flicking. I will need to check the immobiliser is working and its just a faulty light!!

I thought 6k seemed about right considering everything.

I saw the cheapest TT was a RZ 93 for £5k on Autotrader and know the UK ones tend to fetch a little more so happy days (well not just at the mo!!)

I bought my UK TT for 6250 a year ago with sub 100k miles on it ;)

Touch wood, nothing major (read "expensive") has gone wrong with it in that time.

As for the right hand warning lights, mine are a bit intermittant. If you hit them, they sometimes start working again :D

And my service history ran out in about 2002 I think.

I bought my GZ 5.5k over a year ago 66k, however that was not a typical price, anyway i will concede this is'nt the point here, i just smell a rat, several of the garages statements don't add up IMO, however i truely hope i'm wrong. If you get it back tomorrow give it a GOOD shakedown. Good luck Stevie

Can't help you with the security light unfortunately - the first (and only) mod I forked out for was a decent alarm, and that was within a couple of weeks of buying her. That said, the aftermarket LED for my alarm has since stopped working :rolleyes:

I think the lack of service history affects the price quite considerably, but I went to have a look over her a few times before deciding to buy. I was fairly confident there were no hidden gremlins :)

Is your auto or manual? If it's manual, you got yourself an absolute bargain if there are no major issues! If auto, it's still a good price for a UK car.

If you ever decide to sell your stock wheels, let me know ;) (considering returning her completely to stock at the moment, but not decided!)