The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Suspension

Dnk

A good mate of mine with a uk spec is after new suspension so i thought i'd ask you guys for some input on Teins Hks etc

Ive got O/E shocks with the Eibach lowering springs and im very happy with the end result, not to low or to stiff.

Your opinions on differant kits would be appreciated but preferably if youve actually got a kit fitted.

look on ebay as from sat/sunday i have loads of stuff for sale from japan;)

Cheers but before he buys im after info on how good any of these aftermarket kits are.

Some just seem to cheap to me so im interested to see what anyone thinks after say a year of use on these kits or longer preferably.

They all look great in the adds and backed up by the makers saying there great and the best etc but i want to know do they last the test of time and not just look great in the box.

I have had

Eibach/UK I was glad to remove.

HKS hypermax 2. Decent, typical jap kit, oversprung.

JIC Magic with UK valving. Much better dampers for road use, height adjustment at the base without and effect on springs, but way over sprung, so I am currently fitting softer JIC springs and the optional helper springs.

Hypermax 2 were good on track, but I was never able to use them above about 16 on the 30 point adjustment as the car wa so stiff it lost all grip and dosed either end at will.

"IF" I lived on the mainland I would be going to Mr Wilson and have it done properly.

I have had

Eibach/UK I was glad to remove.

HKS hypermax 2. Decent, typical jap kit, oversprung.

JIC Magic with UK valving. Much better dampers for road use, height adjustment at the base without and effect on springs, but way over sprung, so I am currently fitting softer JIC springs and the optional helper springs.

Hypermax 2 were good on track, but I was never able to use them above about 16 on the 30 point adjustment as the car wa so stiff it lost all grip and dosed either end at will.

"IF" I lived on the mainland I would be going to Mr Wilson and have it done properly.

Thanks for the input, you didnt like the Eibachs then ?

Chris Wilson

" I can supply dampers and springs to run any ride height within reason, £1250 fitted with a full geo reset. Based on new European Bilsteins and my own custom springs. If you have the yellow Bilsteins on yours already I can remove, modify and refit with modded ride height. In fact I can anything suspension related."

Can't do better imo. And you can ask him to set the front toe / camber so the car is easier to drive and catch if things get unruly.

Will be my only port of call when suspension time is due.:)

Thanks for the input, you didnt like the Eibachs then ?

Hated them, front was too low, and sturts pumped themselves up in the lower position it would seem and ride was awful. Mind you my local roads are dug every week by some outfit or other.

When I fitted a proper coil over kit, traction off the line was miles better and the car felt much more stable less prone to drifting.

I agree. The problem with opinions off members is that the majority of them (and I include me) would not really know what a good set up felt like anyway.

IMHO I would rather have fresh stock suspension with 18" and propery geometry than all the fancy suspension you could buy with bad or stock geometry. G/Tee I'd beat you around any B road! if that was the case lol :)

so this guy could do a lot worse than just getting new stock J-spec springs and stock bilsteins?

I'll never forget the first very good geometry job i got done in Germany, I almost stopped the car to see if it had 2 sets of wheels on it!. Yes the difference was "that" big.

I have found Supras to be an EXCELLENT handling car, when the geo is done. I fear no 2 or 4wd car in mine on the corners.

People often ask for settings. Each multi changed setup needs its own, and even if you did give someone settings they'd probably get over excited while driving it, wreck it, and blame the geometry.

I drove a stock vvti with 18"/RE050A and proper geometry, it handled superb. Handling and tyre choice is as important as any other factor.

so this guy could do a lot worse than just getting new stock J-spec springs and stock bilsteins?

He certainly could!

Ernies not far away here, i just fitted yellow Bilstiens and VVTI springs from Chris Wilson last week and its now so so much better to drive. A lot of these jap kits are only for the `bowling green` roads in japan not the cart tracks we have here

He certainly could!

Ernies not far away here, i just fitted yellow Bilstiens and VVTI springs from Chris Wilson last week and its now so so much better to drive. A lot of these jap kits are only for the `bowling green` roads in japan not the cart tracks we have here

When are you coming for a demo Roy? :eyebrows::sly: Pampers required or a deposit on the new seats lol.

I had TEIN Superstreets & EDFC fitted two weeks ago, and for the most part i find them perfect.

It's only on the bad roads you notice the bumps, where they have a hard time coping, but even then my old vauxhall carlton felt them too, but not as bad as the Supra.

I run on 19s and for the most part it's ok, but if i was doing it again maybe i would go for 18s.

If i was closer to Interpro i would go there if i needed geometry work done next time. Thats where i got the SS and EDFC from.

Have had a full geometry setup after the SS install and car does drive much nicer and feels like on rails and goes exactly where you want it to.

ja ne

Ian